THEY OWNED A FURTHER 14,220 ACRES IN COUNTY CAVAN AND 12,851 ACRES IN WESTMORLAND
in which kingdom, he purchased lands in 1660, of which the town and townlands of Kells formed a portion, having disposed of his estates in England. After the Restoration, Mr Taylor was appointed one of the sub-commissioners of the court of claims.
THOMAS, his heir;
Robert, Dean of Clonfert;
Henrietta; Salisbury; Anne.
Robert, a general in the army;
Clotworthy, created Baron Langford;
Henry Edward, in holy orders;
THOMAS, 2nd Earl, born in 1757, who assumed the surname of TAYLOUR from his patronymic.
MP for co Meath, 1812-29; Lord Lieutenant of Cavan, 1831-70; Privy Counsellor, 1835; a Lord of the Bedchamber, 1835-37; a Lord-in-Waiting, 1837-41; Knight of St Patrick, 1839.
High Sheriff of Meath, 1844; and of Cavan, 1846; State Steward to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1852-3; High Sheriff of Westmorland, 1853; MP for Westmorland, 1854-70; Lord Lieutenant of Meath, 1876-94; Privy Counsellor, 1879; Knight of St Patrick 1885.
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, Thomas Rupert Charles Christopher Taylour, styled Earl of Bective (b 1989).
- Geoffrey Thomas Taylour, 4th Marquess (1878–1943)
- Terence Geoffrey Thomas Taylour, 5th Marquess (1902–60)
- Thomas Geoffrey Charles Michael Taylour, 6th Marquess (1932–2005)
- Thomas Michael Ronald Christopher Taylour, 7th Marquess (b 1959)
His seat, Headfort House, in County Meath, was the only Adam house in Ireland.
In 1901 the 4th Marquess, an eminent horticulturist, caused a sensation when he converted to Rome to marry a showgirl called Rosie Boote.
A figure of great dignity, she remained the dominant personality in the family during young Michael's youth and early adult life.
Virginia, in the county of Cavan, was named after ELIZABETH I, "the Virgin Queen". It owes its origin to the plantation of Ulster in 1609.
The lands eventually passed into the possession of Lucas Plunkett, Earl of Bective, a Roman Catholic, who was later created Earl of Fingall.
It can also be said that Lucas Plunkett, along with his son Christopher, frustrated the plans of the Government to proceed with the development of the town and its incorporation during his tenure.
He was sympathetic to the rebel Irish and sided with them against the planters during the 1641 Rebellion and the Williamite Wars of 1688-91, earning him the label of 'traitor'.
Consequently it fell to Thomas, 1st Marquess of Headfort, and his successors, to fulfil the patent in relation to the development of the town in the second half of the 18th century and 19th century - the patent which was originally granted to Captain Ridgeway in 1612.
Lord Headfort maintained a beautiful park beside lough Ramor, where he had a hunting lodge (above) in plain, rambling, Picturesque cottage style; a two-storey house with a three-bay centre and single-storey, three-bay wings.
The family often stayed here during the summer or autumn months, between 1750 and 1939.
The former hunting lodge is now a hotel, located on the shores of Lough Ramor.
The Headforts also owned 12,851 acres in Westmorland and 7,544 acres in County Meath.
First published in July, 2011. Headfort arms courtesy of European Heraldry.