About the time of the rebellion in Ireland, 1641, the RICHARDSONS, who were of Scotland, obtained the castle and estate of Augher, County Tyrone, by the intermarriage of
ARCHIBALD RICHARDSON, the representative of Sir James Richardson Bt, of Smeaton, Fife, with the daughter of Sir James Erskine.
WILLIAM RICHARDSON, of Augher, County Tyrone (son of St George Richardson by his wife, Eliza Bunbury, eldest daughter of Benjamin Bunbury, of County Tipperary), MP for Augher, 1783-90.
Mr Richardson was created a baronet in 1787.
He married firstly, in 1775, Eliza, daughter of the Rev Galbraith Richardson, and had issue,
JAMES MERVYN, of whom presently;Sir William wedded secondly, Mary, daughter of William Newburgh, and had issue,
Maria Isabella.He died in 1830, and was succeeded by his only son,
SIR JAMES MERVYN RICHARDSON, 2nd Baronet (1781-1851), of Castle Hill, County Tyrone, who espoused, in 1810, Margaret, daughter of John Corry Moutray, of Favour Royal, County Tyrone, and had issue,
JOHN, his successor;Sir James assumed, in 1822, the additional surname and arms of RICHARDSON.
William, great-grandfather of 5th Baronet;
Diana; Catherine; Caroline; Isabella;
Mary; Emily; Letitia Augusta.
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
THE REV SIR JOHN RICHARDSON-BUNBURY, 3rd Baronet (1813-1909), who married, in 1838, Maria, daughter of William Anketell, and had issue,
Mervyn Matthew (1841-89), father of 4th Baronet;Sir John's eldest son predeceased him, and he was succeeded by his grandson,
Matilda Anne; Olivia Emma.
SIR MERVYN WILLIAM RICHARDSON-BUNBURY, 4th Baronet (1874-1952), who died a bachelor and was succeeded by his cousin,
SIR (RICHARD DAVID) MICHAEL RICHARDSON-BUNBURY, 5th Baronet (1927-).
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, Thomas William Richardson-Bunbury (b 1965).
The heir apparent's heir apparent is his only son, Harry William Richardson-Bunbury (b 2002).
SPUR ROYAL, or Augher Castle, near Augher, County Tyrone, is a square, three-storey, plantation castle with an unusual triangular tower in the centre of each of its sides.
It was built ca 1615 by Sir Thomas Ridgeway, afterwards Earl of Londonderry.
Augher Castle was burnt in 1689; though it was restored about 1832 by Sir James Richardson-Bunbury Bt, who added two castellated wings; thus transforming the old castle into a late-Georgian mansion house.
The Gothic-Medieval-Revival style mansion is built onto the original tower house.
It comprises two storeys with corner bartizans, crenellated parapets and late medieval windows.
The central range is recessed with crenellated balconies over a central, tall, pointed, arch doorway.
The mansion house is set in it own grounds and perched at a height overlooking the Lake.
An estate stone wall abounds the village side, with two entrances to the estate.
On the north-east side of the lake sits the stable-yard with coach houses, a four bedroom cottage, and a large walled garden with hanger and further large storage barn.
The house commands a fine prospect over the garden and lake.
The estate manager’s house is accessed via a separate avenue and it sits amongst a copse of trees over looking the lake.
Spur Royal has passed through many hands in recent times and very little ground remains with the house.
During the Victorian era, the demesne comprised 635 acres.
A large portion of the present holding is taken up by the lake, which makes for a spectacular setting for the house.
It is surrounded by lawns and shelter trees. Few mature trees remain of a once ‘tastefully wooded’ site.
The walled garden is concreted. There is a gate lodge of ca 1840.
First published in May, 2012.