HORACE, his heir;
James, of Ballymagowan.
Maxwell Kennedy (Rev), dsp 1782;
GEORGE CROOKSHANK, his heir;
John Pitt (Rev), Rector of Donagh;
CONOLLY McCAUSLAND (1778-1854), dsp;The third son,
GEORGE, his successor;
DR GEORGE KENNEDY-SKIPTON (1782-1847), married firstly, in 1814, Mary, daughter of the Rev Henry Stacy DD, and had issue (with two daughters),
George Henry (1815-47);The eldest surviving son,
HENRY STACY, his heir;
Thomas Kennedy (1820-24);
HENRY STACY KENNEDY-SKIPTON, of Beechhill, married Elizabeth, daughter of C Stewart, and had issue,
Dr Skipton died in 1858, leaving two sons, the younger of whom,
He sold Beech Hill in 1875 and died a bachelor in 1906.
The second son,
ALEXANDER SKIPTON, purchased, about 1617, the lands of Ballyshasky, of the Ballymullins, now Learmount and others, in County Londonderry.
He built a mansion house on the first named, and was murdered by the O'Cahans in 1624; and left, with two daughters, a son and heir,
This gentleman married Charity, daughter of Sir Thomas Staples Bt, of Lissan, and died in 1685, leaving two sons and a daughter.
The second son,
GEORGE SKIPTON, married Mary, co-heiress of Sir Alexander Staples, knight, and left a son, Staples Skipton, who bequeathed his estate of Faughanvale to the Skipton Hall family.
The eldest son,
CAPTAIN ALEXANDER SKIPTON (1642-1704), attainted by JAMES II's parliament, married Jane, daughter of Edward Cary, of Dungiven, by Sarah, his wife, daughter of Sir Tristram Beresford Bt.
Captain Skipton was succeeded by his eldest son,
CAPTAIN THOMAS SKIPTON, who served with Lord Peterborough in Spain, wedded Eleanor, daughter of Colonel John Forward, of Castle Forward, and aunt to Alice Forward (created, in 1793, Countess of Wicklow).
Captain Skipton died in 1739, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
He died without male issue in 1802, bequeathing his estate to his cousin and brother-in-law,
However, in a period of rebellion three years later, Thomas and his wife Charity were forced to flee under cover of darkness, narrowly escaping with their lives. Their home was burned to the ground.
The family remained there until the siege of Derry, when a retreating army reduced Skipton Hall to ashes.
An impressive porch was added to the front of the house and also the big room that is situated over it and which is known as The Library.
At this time, the estate comprised 1,169 acres.
The Nicholsons made a number of internal changes to the house during their tenancy but, in general, it remained their simple family home.
They had been sent to protect Londonderry’s war-time military installations.
They undertook two years of refurbishment.
It included new sash windows, extensive re-roofing and external and interior redecoration.
‘… full grown timber, richly planted glen, an excellent garden, walled in and in full bearing, and sanded walks for the accommodation of the passenger through its richlyThe house is still surrounded by mature trees, with a lime and beech avenue and woodland walks. The raised portion to the north-west of the house.
wooded lawns …’
The shape of the demesne has changed little: There are terraced lawns near the house and a series of ponds on descending ground, controlled by sluices.
Overflow car parks are amongst trees.
First published in July, 2012.