JAMES WILLIAM LOWRY, of Ballymagorry, County Tyrone, removing to Ulster from Scotland during the reign of CHARLES II, had a son,
JOHN LOWRY, of Aghenis, County Tyrone, who married firstly, a daughter of ______ Hamilton, of Ballyfallow, and by her, who died at Londonderry during its celebrated siege in 1689, had issue,
William, went to the East Indies;
Elizabeth; Margaret; Mary.
John, died unmarried;
ROBERT, of whom we treat;
Catharine; Rebecca; Anne; Jane.
ROBERT LOWRY, of Aghenis, married Anne, daughter of the Rev James Sinclair, and had three sons, namely,
Robert, dsp;The second son and eventual heir,
James (Rev), who founded the branch seated at Pomeroy House.
GALBRAITH LOWRY, of Aghenis, thrice MP for County Tyrone, wedded Sarah, second daughter and co-heir of Colonel John Corry MP, and had issue,
ARMAR, his successor;Mr Lowry was succeeded by his son,
Anne, m William, 1st Earl of Enniskillen.
ARMAR LOWRY (1740-1802), MP for County Tyrone, who assumed the additional surname and arms of CORRY.
He was elevated to the peerage, in 1781, by the title of Baron Belmore, of Castle Coole, County Fermanagh.
His lordship was advanced to a viscountcy, in 1789, as Viscount Belmore; and further advanced, in 1797, to the dignity of an earldom, as EARL OF BELMORE.
He espoused, in 1772, the Lady Margaret Butler, eldest daughter of Somerset, 1st Earl of Carrick, by whom he had an only surviving child,
SOMERSET, Viscount Corry.His lordship married secondly, in 1780, Harriet, eldest daughter and co-heir of John, 2nd Earl of Buckinghamshire, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, by whom he had an only daughter, Louisa Mary Anne, who wedded, in 1804, George, 6th Earl of Sandwich.
The 1st Earl married thirdly, in 1794, Mary Anne, daughter of Sir John Caldwell Bt, but by her had no issue.
He was succeeded by his son and heir,
SOMERSET, 2nd Earl.
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, John Armar Galbraith Lowry-Corry, styled Viscount Corry (b. 1985).
- Somerset Lowry-Corry, 2nd Earl (1774–1841);
- Armar Lowry-Corry, 3rd Earl (1801–45);
- Somerset Lowry-Corry, 4th Earl (1835–1913);
- Armar Lowry-Corry, 5th Earl (1870–1948);
- Cecil Lowry-Corry, 6th Earl (1873–1949);
- Galbraith Armar Lowry-Corry, 7th Earl (1913–60);
- John Lowry-Corry, 8th Earl (b 1951).
JOHN CORRY, a former provost of Dumfries in Scotland, settled, in 1639, at Tullynagardy, in the Ards, County Down.
The Corrys were presumably well-known in Newtownards during the 17th and 18th centuries: Another John Corry (1771-1851), a farmer, married Susan White. They farmed at Concord Farm, Tullynagardy, built about 1800, but beside ruins ca 300 years old.
Later in life he established a timber business in Belfast called Corry & Montgomery, in 1814, and it was the foundation of the James P Corry & Company in 1814. John moved to Ballyalton House, beneath Scrabo Hill, after he gave the Tullynagardy farm to his daughter Mary, born in 1794. They called it Concord Farm. John Corry and his wife Susan had eight children.
Yet another branch established the Corry's Star Shipping line. They owned Scrabo Quarries and helped to build early Belfast. One of their ships was named the Jane Porter. Robert Corry is remembered as having introduced Scrabo Stone to Ireland as a building material.
He started the firm originally as building contractors and became a great timber merchant; and he founded a major shipping line.
The original John Corry was appointed a freeman of Belfast in 1654.
Corry spent only a brief period in Belfast and Lisburn before purchasing land in County Fermanagh.
Corry thrived and, in 1646, bought the Coole estate from Roger Atkinson for £860.
Its extent was about 4,576 acres. He married Blanch Johnston and had a son,
COLONEL JAMES CORRY (1634-1718), MP for Fermanagh.
This gentleman was appointed by the Duke of Ormonde as captain of the Fermanagh Militia in 1666, was High Sheriff of Fermanagh in 1671, and later became High Sheriff of Monaghan in 1677.Through marriage the Corry family became the Lowry-Corrys.
He was promoted to colonel in 1689; elected as a MP for Fermanagh in 1692; Governor of Fermanagh in 1705; and continued to represent the constituency until the time of his demise in 1718.
Colonel Corry was once accused of supporting JAMES II but was acquitted after a year upon confirmation of his loyalty to WILLIAM III.
He was married thrice: First to Sarah Anketill (daughter of Captain Oliver Anketill) to whom he had three daughters and a son named John.
Unfortunately Sarah died so the Colonel remarried. His second wife was Lucy Mervyn (daughter of Henry Mervyn) to whom he had a daughter who died shortly after birth and Lucy a few years later.
His third marriage was to Elizabeth Harryman, which was childless and ended in divorce.
I have written an article about the Lowrys of Pomeroy here.
As 1st Earl of Belmore, Armar Lowry-Corry's three names represented the three components of his future inheritance: Armar, the valuable church-lands in Fermanagh; Lowry, his paternal estate in Tyrone; and Corry, the remainder of his Fermanagh estate and his country seat.
Belmore Mountain - or Mount Belmore - is a hill in west Fermanagh.
I've written here about the 8th and present Earl.
In 1852 the Fermanagh estate amounted to 7,140 acres in addition to the 14,900 acres of church-land leased from the Lord Bishop of Clogher; while the Tyrone lands comprised 41,448 acres.
The Belmore estates also encompassed counties Monaghan, Longford, Armagh and Dublin. This amounted, in all, to 72,715 acres.
In 1789 the gross rentals were as follows: Fermanagh church-lands £2,700; Fermanagh estate £1,400; Longford estate plus miscellaneous small properties £1,565; and Tyrone estate £7,130: giving a total rental of £12,795. By 1800 this had increased to £16,645.
The income generated by the estates allowed Castle Coole to be constructed at a cost of £57,000 in 1798, equivalent to approximately £20 million today.
The Belmores were one of the most powerful and influential landed families of their time.
Apart from their County Fermanagh seat, the palatial Castle Coole, the Belmores had a town residence at 56 Eaton Place, London.
The family still live on the Castle Coole estate, at the Garden House in the grounds.
Belmore arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in December, 2009.