His descendants were seated for many generations at Kennington, in Kent; and subsequently at Wadhurst, and other places, in Sussex.
From William May, second son of Thomas May, of Wadhurst, descended
SIR HUMPHREY MAY, vice-chamberlain to JAMES I and chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster; and also
SIR THOMAS MAY, of Mayfield, Sussex, whose eldest son, Thomas May, a celebrated poet, died unmarried, and whose second son,
EDWARD MAY, settled at Mayfield, County Waterford, who married Margaret, daughter of Arthur O'Donnelly, of Castle Caulfield, County Tyrone; the grandson of which marriage,
EDWARD MAY, of Mayfield, wedded Elizabeth, daughter and co-heiress (with her sister, Anne, Countess of Tyrone), of Andrew Richards, of County Kilkenny.
He died in 1720, and was succeeded by his son,
JAMES MAY, MP for County Waterford in 1722, who espoused Letitia, daughter of William, Viscount Duncannon.
Mr May, dying in 1729, left with a daughter, Elizabeth Richards, wife of Thomas Carew, of Ballinamona, and granddaughter of Thomas Carew, of that place, a son and successor,
JAMES MAY (c1724-1811), of Mayfield, MP for County Waterford, who was created a baronet in 1763.
Sir James married Anne, daughter of Thomas Moore, of Marlfield, and niece of Stephen, Earl Mount Cashell, and had issue,
EDWARD, his heir;He had an illigitimate son, Stephen Edward May MP (c1781-1845).
Charles, died unmarried;
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
Sir Edward, MP for Belfast, sometime Collector of the Revenue of the port of Waterford, was succeeded in that lucrative and important office by his son,
Sir Humphrey had married Jane Grueber in 1784. She survived him, but apparently would not continue to reside at Maypark; hence, in Ramsey’s Waterford Chronicle of 1819, an advertisement appeared that Maypark was to be let on such terms and for such a period as might be agreed upon or the interest would be sold.The baronetcy expired on the death of Sir George Stephen May, 4th Baronet, in 1834.
In 1795, George, 2nd Marquess of Donegall, married Anna, daughter of Sir Edward, described as "a moneylender who also ran a gaming house".
He managed to get Lord Donegall - then styled Lord Chichester - released from a debtors' prison in 1795 and offered his daughter Anna in marriage, an obligation which his lordship felt obliged to accept.
The couple came to Belfast in 1802 to escape his debtors and brought the May family with them.
Anna (May), 2nd Marchioness of Donegall had been under-age at the time of her marriage and should have had the permission of the courts in 1795 but this had not been sought; so, as a consequence, the marriage was declared unlawful.
Edward Street in Belfast was named after Sir Edward May; as was Great Edward Street, May Street and May's Market.
Sir Edward pioneered the reclamation of land from the edges of Belfast Lough; however, more infamously, he was regarded as the man who desecrated the graves of those buried at St George's graveyard at High Street and Ann Street in order to sell the land for the development of Church Street and Ann Street in Belfast.May's Dock in Belfast was also named after Sir (James) Edward May, brother of Lady Donegall.
Sir Edward reclaimed the land to form May's Dock from the original bed of the river and the high water line was where Great Edward Street now continues into Cromac Street.
The principal seat of the Mays was once Maypark House in County Waterford, now a nursing home.
Sir Humphrey died approximately seven years after the death of his father, Sir Edward.
Lady May, after the death of her husband and father-in-law, obviously decided to move out of Maypark.
It is not clear, from research, whether of not Sir Humphrey and Lady May had been living in France at the time of Sir Humphrey’s death.
The property consisted of house, offices and land with a total area over 46 acres. It was valued at £181.
Some areas are heavily planted.