This is a very ancient branch of the noble and illustrious race of the GERALDINES, seated at an early period at the castle of Pallas, County Limerick.
Family tradition relates that the descendant of that family and the direct ancestor of the Carrigoran Fitzgeralds was instrumental in saving the life of CHARLES I at the battle of Naseby.
Naseby House, Northamptonshire, was built by the FitzGeralds, lords of the manor of Naseby.
Of the Clare family there were two branches, the representative of one, that of Moigh Castle and Sixmilebridge, namely
COLONEL AUGUSTINE FITZGERALD, died in 1776, having devised the reversion of his property to his kinsman, of Carrigoran.
The estate of Carrigoran was acquired by EDWARD FITZGERALD, of Rynana, County Clare, in 1667, from Colonel Daniel O'Brien, afterwards the Viscount Clare.
His son and heir,
JOHN FITZGERALD, of Carrigoran, County Clare, married Helen, daughter of Pierce Butler, Viscount Ikerrin; from whom descended,
COLONEL EDWARD FITZGERALD (c1736-1814), of Carrigoran, MP for County Clare, 1782, was left a large estate by his relative, Colonel Augustine FitzGerald, of Sixmilebridge and Silvergrove.
He had issue,
SIR AUGUSTINE FITZGERALD, (c1765-1834), a lieutenant-general in the Army, who was created a baronet in 1821.
Sir Augustine died without male issue and was succeeded by his brother,
SIR WILLIAM, 2nd Baronet (c1780-1847), who espoused, in 1805, Emelia Cumming, youngest daughter of William Veale, of Trevaylor, Cornwall; and by her had issue,
EDWARD, his heir;
Augustine, East India Company; 3rd Baronet;
William Thomas Burton; 4th Baronet;
George Cumming; 5th Baronet;
The title became extinct on the death of Sir George Cumming FitzGerald, 5th Baronet, in 1908.
- Sir William Fitzgerald, 2nd Baronet (c1780-1847);
- Sir Edward Fitzgerald, 3rd Baronet (1806-65);
- Sir Augustine Fitzgerald, 4th Baronet (1809-93);
- Sir George Cumming Fitzgerald, 5th Baronet (1823-1908).
Other Seats - Trevaylor, Penzance, Cornwall; Killybegs House, Naas, County Kildare.
|Photo credit: Clare County Library - Bluett Collection|
Carrigoran House was the seat of the FitzGerald family in the 18th and 19th centuries.
An earlier house was reputedly destroyed by fire in the late 18th century.
Carrigoran was advertised for sale in 1856.
By the 1880s, the FitzGeralds had acquired the Trevaylor estate in Cornwall.
When Clara, Lady FitzGerald, widow of the last baronet, died in 1922, Carrigoran was sold to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.
It was still in use in the 1940s, though was demolished in the 1980s.
First published in May, 2012.