Thursday 23 December 2021

A Peculiar Tea

Still recovering from retinal surgery, with a depleting gas bubble in one eye, I decided to cycle down to the railway station and get a train to Botanic, a mere hop, skip, and jump from University Road, Belfast.

The ancient Burberry trench coat was unearthed; the trusty whangee brolly brandished.

When I alighted at Botanic station I had some time to spare, so I wandered into the Oxfam charity book-shop on Botanic Avenue (where the Arts Theatre used to be).

They invariably have a selection of vintage books, if not exactly "antiquarian."

It was approaching five o'clock, so I strode the short distance from Botanic Avenue, along LOWER CRESCENT, and on to University Road.

A Peculiar Tea is almost directly opposite Holohan's restaurant.

I recall the premises fondly as Beatrice Kennedy's, a delightful establishment which offered the most delectable wheaten bread and perhaps Mr McCarthy's signature dish, seared scallops on Clonakilty black pudding. Sublime.

I dined at BK's on my birthday in 2008.


A Peculiar Tea was established by the local and celebrated chef, Gemma Austin.

Its decor and ambiance are different from BK's, and the theme is somewhat akin to Alice in Wonderland.


I had the six-course Tasting Menu last night.


Since it was the occasion of my birthday, the staff very kindly offered me a complimentary drink, so I had a glass of Prosecco, with a juicy raspberry floating on top.

Guinea fowl, bone marrow, jus

The presentation and service were very good indeed, and, given the amount of time that must have been expended in preparing six delicious and quite exquisite courses, all the crockery and cutlery needed, it was good value at £45.

Cod, champagne sauce, capers

Guinea fowl, cod, venison, sorbet, and other delicacies were presented beautifully and with culinary craftsmanship.

I'm sure Aunt Dahlia's chef Anatole, that master of the gastronomic taste-buds, would have approved.

Venison, celeriac, etc

The final course, a minute pudding, was served with a little lighted candle on top; and I was treated to a rendition of Happy Birthday To You by staff and patrons in the dining-room.

2 comments :

Rob said...

It all looks wonderful. Happy belated birthday to you.

Timothy Belmont said...

Lovely little restaurant; different to BK's. Enjoyable. Many thanks for the birthday wishes. Tim.