JOHN, of whom presently;The only son,
A daughter, m Henry Joy;
JOHN DUNBAR, of Dungannon, County Tyrone, married Wilfrida, daughter of John Gilmore, of Boghead, County Antrim, and had issue,
John Gilmore, of Woburn; m Mary, dau. of J Cunningham; dsp;Mr Dunbar's elder daughter,
SARAH, of whom we treat;
SARAH DUNBAR, wedded Alexander Orr, of Landmore, County Londonderry, and had issue,
James Alexander Orr;Mr Dunbar's grandson,
GEORGE DUNBAR, of whom presently;
GEORGE DUNBAR DUNBAR DL (1800-75), formerly ORR, of Woburn, County Down, Barrister, MP for Belfast, 1835-7, and 1838-41; Mayor of Belfast, 1842-3.
Mr Dunbar assumed, in 1833, the name and arms of DUNBAR in lieu of his patronymic ORR.
He married, in 1844, Harriet Susan Isabella, only daughter of Lord George Beresford, and had issue,
John George Henry William (1848-84), of Woburn;
GEORGINA ANNE ELIZABETH, of whom hereafter.
JOHN BULLER (1721-86), of East Looe and Bake, in Cornwall, MP, MP for East Looe, 1747-86, and a Lord of the Admiralty, third son of John Francis Buller MP, of Morval, and Rebecca his wife, daughter and co-heir of the Rt Rev Sir Jonathan Trelawny Bt, Lord Bishop of Winchester, married firstly, in 1760, Mary (d 1767), daughter of Sir John St Aubyn Bt, MP, and had issue,
John, MP; dsp 1807;
Edward (Sir), 1st Baronet.
FREDERICK WILLIAM, of whom presently;
LIEUTENANT-GENERAL FREDERICK WILLIAM BULLER (1773-1855), of Pelynt and Lanreath, Cornwall, MP for East Looe, 1798-1802, espoused, in 1795, Charlotte, daughter of George Tomkyns, and had issue,
Frederick Thomas, Maj-Gen; m Lady Agnes Percy; dsp;
WILLIAM, of whom presently;
George (Sir), GCB, General;
John, Royal Navy;
Charlotte; Caroline; Agnes; Georgiana Amelia.
THE REV WILLIAM BULLER (1799-1862), of Pelynt and Lanreath, Rector of Hemington, Somerset, married, in 1835, Leonora Sophia (dsp 1836), daughter of John Bond, of Grange, Dorset; and secondly, 1845, Eleanor, daughter of the Rev William Coney, of Cookham, Berkshire, and had issue,
CHARLES WILLIAM, his heir;
Frederick George (Rev), Rector of Birch, Manchester;
Ellen Georgina; Alice Lucy; Caroline; Sophia Leonora.
CHARLES WILLIAM DUNBAR-BULLER JP DL (1847-1924), of Woburn, County Down, and Toft Monks, Norfolk, High Sheriff of County Down, 1894, wedded, in 1890, GEORGIANA ANNE ELIZABETH, only surviving child of George Dunbar, DL, of Woburn House, MP for Belfast.
He assumed the additional name and arms of DUNBAR, 1891.
Mr Dunbar-Buller died without issue, and Woburn House passed to his wife's cousin,
Reynell James Pack-Beresford JP DL (1872-1949), of Woburn House, who married, in 1899, Florence, daughter of Frederick William Leith, and had issue,
ARTHUR REYNELL;Mr Pack-Beresford was Vice-President of the Ulster Agricultural Society and the Ulster Farmers Union; a breeder of pedigree livestock; and served on the Local Government Board in Ireland till 1922.
Arthur Reynell Pack-Beresford (1906-78), of Woburn Lodge,
Solicitor, 1937; fought in 2nd World War, with 4th Regiment, Maritime Royal Artillery; breeder of pedigree livestock; member of various educational and agricultural committees; lived at Woburn Lodge (a house of about 1962 in a late 19th-century arboretum, part of the grounds of Woburn House; features include a bothy and an important rhododendron collection) and formerly at the House which became a borstal in 1976.Mr Pack-Beresford wedded, in 1957, Catherine Euphemia Cochrane, and had issue, an only child,
SUSAN ELIZABETH PACK-BERESFORD (1959-), of Woburn Cottage, who married, in 1981, Charles MacGregor Maddin, son of Lieutenant-Commander Robert Irwin Maddin Scott RN, and had issue,
Patrick Charles Beresford, b 1985;
Alexandra Elizabeth Clare, b 1987;
Louia Harriet Isabella, b 1990.
The entrance front has a curved bow at one end; a projecting wing at the other; and a central, three-storey tower incorporating a porte-cochére.
There are superimposed Ionic and Corinthian corner-pilasters on the tower above rusticated Doric piers; with entablatures on console brackets over the ground-floor windows.
The roof has a balustraded parapet and an adjoining symmetrical seven-bay garden-front prolonged by a single-storey wing ending in a pedimented pavilion.
The present house was built in ca 1865, to designs by John McCurdy of Dublin, for the then owner of the Woburn estate, George Orr Dunbar.
His uncle, John Gilmore Dunbar, had built a substantial residence on this site (which he named Woburn) for use as a summer residence.
This site had formerly been occupied by two small farm houses.
The original house is shown on a map of 1834 as a long rectangular building with wings to the rear and further structures (probably stables) to the north-west.
An undated water-colour shows the house with a hipped roof, large end bays, smaller centre bay and castellated parapet.
George Dunbar MP used his fortune to rebuild Woburn House as an Italianate mansion in the 1860s.
Mr Dunbar died in 1875 and upon the death of his daughter, Georgiana Dunbar-Buller, and her husband, Charles, in the early 1920s, Woburn passed to a distant cousin of Georgiana's (through her mother's family), Reynell James Pack-Beresford.
The house remained with the Pack-Beresfords until the 1950s, when the burden of death duties forced Reynell James's son, Arthur Reynell Pack-Beresford, to put the property up for sale.
In 1956, Woburn House was bought by the Northern Ireland Ministry of Finance and converted to a boys' borstal.
In more recent times the property has become a training centre for prison officers.
During both of these recent incarnations the house has been progressively extended, modernized, and adapted to serve its new functions.
The immediate grounds around it have been developed also and they now contain many modern dwellings and other more functional looking structures.
Former seat ~ Trerissome, Flushing, Cornwall.
former town residence ~ 15 Upper Grosvenor Street, London.
Images courtesy of NIPS; first published in February, 2011.