HUGH HAMILTON settled at Lisbane, County Down, during the reign of JAMES I, and was made a denizen of Ireland in 1616.
He died in 1655 and was buried at Bangor, County Down, leaving issue,
John, of Ballymenoch;The second son,
ALEXANDER, of whom presently;
ALEXANDER HAMILTON, of Killyleagh, County Down, married Jean, daughter of John Hamilton, of Belfast, and had issue,
HUGH, his heir;Mr Hamilton died in 1676, and was succeeded by his son,
Jane, m William Sloane, of Chelsea.
HUGH HAMILTON, of Ballybrenagh, who wedded Mary, sister of Robert Ross, of Rostrevor, and daughter of George Ross, of Portavo, by Ursula his wife, daughter of Captain Hans Hamilton, of Carnesure, and had issue,
ALEXANDER, his heir;Mr Hamilton died in 1728, and was succeeded by his elder son,
George, of Tyrella;
ALEXANDER HAMILTON, of Knock, County Dublin, and of Newtownhamilton, County Armagh, MP for Killyleagh, 1730-61, espoused Isabella, daughter of Robert Maxwell, of Finnebrogue, County Down, by Jane, daughter of the Rev Simon Chichester, Vicar of Belfast (eldest son of Henry Chichester, of Marwood, by Jane, daughter of the Rt Rev Robert Maxwell, Lord Bishop of Kilmore).
He died in 1768, leaving four sons and three daughters, viz.
HUGH (Rt Rev), Lord Bishop of Ossory;The second son,
ROBERT, of whom we treat;
Isabella; Anne; Elizabeth.
ROBERT HAMILTON, of Gloucester Street, Dublin, married Hester, daughter of Crewe Chetwood, of Woodbrook, Queen's County, and had issue,
ALEXANDER CHETWOOD, his heir;Mr Hamilton died in 1790, and was succeeded by his elder son,
THE REV ALEXANDER CHETWOOD HAMILTON, Rector of Thomastown, County Kilkenny, married, in 1801, Eleanor, daughter and co-heir of THE REV SEWELL STUBBER, and assumed, in 1824, the surname of STUBBER in lieu of Hamilton, and the arms of Stubber only.
By her he had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;The Rev Alexander Chetwood Hamilton died in 1830, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
William, of Roundwood, father of CHARLES PAULET HAMILTON;
Richard Hugh (Rev);
Hester Maria; Harriet Anne; Sophia Elizabeth; Anne Matilda.
ROBERT HAMILTON STUBBER JP DL (1803-63), of Moyne, High Sheriff, 1831, who married, in 1840, Olivia, daughter of the Rev Edward Lucas, of the Castleshane family, and widow of Henry Smyth, of Mount Henry, Queen’s County, and had issue,
ROBERT HAMILTON, his heir;Mr Hamilton-Stubber was succeeded by his son and heir,
Olivia Harriet Florence Hamilton; Eleanor Frances Beatrice Hamilton.
ROBERT HAMILTON HAMILTON-STUBBER JP DL (1844-1916), of Moyne and Castle Fleming, Queen’s County, High Sheriff, Lieutenant, Royal Dragoons, who espoused firstly, in 1877, Adèle Grainger, daughter of Alexander Duncan, of Knossington Grange, Leicestershire, and had issue,
ROBERT;He wedded secondly, in 1885, Georgina Alice Mary, youngest daughter of George Power, sixth son of Sir John Power Bt, of Kilfane, County Kilkenny, and had issue, a daughter, Margery.
Mr Hamilton-Stubber sold the Moyne estate to his cousin,
CHARLES PAULET HAMILTON (1834-1907), grandson of the Rev A C Hamilton, who wedded, in 1878, Emily Louise, daughter of William Smyth-King, and had issue,
Maurice William Chetwode (1882-1955);Mr Hamilton's younger son,
Elinor Frances; Kathleen Elizabeth; Alice Maude; Mary Beatrice.
HUBERT CHARLES HAMILTON DSO (1887-1946), of Moyne, Barrister-at-Law, wedded, in 1912, Honoria Eliza Sylvia Vera, daughter of Major Travers Robert Blackley, and had issue, an only child,
HUBERT CHARLES PAULET HAMILTON (1915-2007), of Moyne, Captain, Royal Irish Fusiliers, who married firstly, in 1941, Margaret Helen, daughter of Sir Owen Watkin Williams-Wynn Bt, and had issue,
ANDREW PAULET.He espoused secondly, in 1950, Katharine Frances, daughter of William Evelyn Joseph Dobbs, and had issue,
Hubert Kildare, b 1953;
Dominick Charles, b 1954;
Sophia Elinor, b 1960.
MOYNE HOUSE, near Durrow, County Laois, is a five-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, built ca 1730.
It has a pedimented central bay with a projecting porch.
Moyne was renovated and extended about 1880, with two-bay, two-storey wings and a dormer attic.
The house has a double-pitched and hipped slate roof, with rolled lead ridge tiles and limestone ashlar chimney-stacks.
The roof is gabled; rubble limestone walls; a Venetian-style window opening to entrance bay and oculus to pediment.
The house is set back from the main road in its own landscaped grounds.
It has a stable complex, including two-storey rubble stone ranges, one of which was renovated about 1970 to accommodate residential use.
Of its interior, the drawing-room is notable for its Adam-Revival ceiling; while the dining-room has a frieze of plasterwork in late 18th century style; and a carved wood chimney-piece in Elizabethan style.
Moyne Polo Club, established in 1996, is affiliated to the Hurlingham Polo Association.
A Midsummer Ball and one-day tournament is held in June; a two-day tournament on the penultimate weekend in July; and a tournament in August with the emphasis on junior polo.
Moyne House became the Hamilton family home in the early part of the 19th century, when Robert Hamilton-Stubber (1803-63) moved there from Kilkenny.
The house then descended via Robert Hamilton-Stubber (1846-1916) to Major Robert Hamilton-Stubber DSO (d 1963), who sold Moyne to his cousin, Hubert Charles Hamilton, in the 1920s; from whom the present branch of the family is descended.
The Hamilton family still live at Moyne.
First published in December, 2012.