JOHN FOSTER, of Dunleer, County Louth, married, in 1704, Elizabeth, youngest daughter of William Fortescue, of Newrath, County Louth.
He died in 1747, leaving issue,
Anthony (1705-79), ancestor of Lord Oriel;The second son,
THOMAS, of whom presently;
John William, MP, of Dunleer;
Margaret; Alice; Charlotte.
THE REV THOMAS FOSTER DD, Rector of Dunleer, County Louth, married, in 1740, Dorothy, daughter of William Burgh, of Birt, County Kildare, and was succeeded by his son,
JOHN THOMAS FOSTER (1747-96), of Dunleer, sometime MP, who wedded, in 1776, Lady Elizabeth Hervey, daughter of Frederick, 4th Earl of Bristol and Lord Bishop of Derry, by whom (who wedded after his decease, William, 5th Duke of Devonshire, and died in 1824) he had issue,
Frederick Thomas, born 1777;His younger son,
AUGUSTUS JOHN, of whom hereafter;
THE RT HON SIR AUGUSTUS JOHN FOSTER GCH (1780-1848), of Stonehouse, County Louth, married, in 1815, Albina Jane, daughter of the Hon George Vere Hobart.
The influence of his stepfather William, 5th Duke of Devonshire, was exercised at the instance of his mother, the Duke's second wife.
The 1st Baronet, who committed suicide, was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR FREDERICK GEORGE FOSTER, 2nd Baronet (1816-1857) who died unmarried, and was succeeded by his next brother,
THE REV SIR CAVENDISH HERVEY FOSTER, 3rd Baronet (1817-1890), who married, in 1844, Isabella Todd. Their elder son was Major John Frederick Foster (1847-1890).
SIR AUGUSTUS VERE FOSTER, 4th Baronet (1873-1947), married Charlotte Philippa Marion Ffolkes.
The baronetcy became extinct in 1947.
GLYDE COURT, near Tallanstown, County Louth, was a late 18th century house with a long elevation, remodelled in the 19th century in Jacobean style.
The long elevation had curvilinear gables and two curved bows.
The main entrance was at one end of the house, where there was a shorter front with two gabled projections joined by an arcaded cloister.
The last baronet to live at the Court, Sir Augustus, features in a rather romantic Edwardian family portrait by Sir William Orpen KBE, on display at the National Gallery of Ireland.
First published in April, 2013.