Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Lisburn Manor House

THE STANNUS FAMILY OWNED 22 ACRES OF LAND IN LISBURN, COUNTY ANTRIM


The first mention of the family in Ireland is found in a patent of naturalization (consequent upon the plantation of Ulster by JAMES I), dated 1618, and granted to WILLIAM STANEHOUSE, of Carbolzie, in Scotland, whereby all the rights and privileges of an English subject were fully secured to him and other persons of consideration.

The son of this William was

JAMES STANNUS, of Carlingford, the principal part of which town and manor he was seised of, including several townlands.

His interment in the church of Knock, County Down, previous to 1683, is recorded in a very interesting family document.

His son,

WILLIAM STANNUS, also styled of Carlingford, was High Sheriff of County Louth, 1704.

It is to be remarked that, on the Sheriff's roll, the name is spelt Stanehouse.

Mr Stannus married Mabella, sister of Ephraim Dawson, of Dawson's Court, MP for the Queen's County, whose grandson was created Earl of Portarlington.

He died in 1717, having had issue,
James, (1686-1721); MP for Carlingford 1713-21;
William, (1695-1732); MP for Carlingford, 1721-27; MP for Portarlington 1730;
Ephraim, b 1697; died in Gambia;
TREVOR, of whom we treat;
Mabella; Anne; Sophia.
The youngest son, 

TREVOR STANNUS (1700-71), denominated of Portarlington, succeeded to part of the Carlingford estates, and was High Sheriff of County Louth, 1744.

He wedded, in 1728, Jane, daughter of Robert Sibthorp, MP for Louth, and had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;
William, 1730-58;
James, 1738-1808;
Ephraim;
Jane.
Mr Stannus was buried in The French Church (St Paul's) at Portarlington.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

THOMAS STANNUS (1736-1813), MP for Portarlington, 1789-99, who served during the American War of Independence, where he was severely wounded.

He espoused, in 1784, Caroline, sister of Hans Hamilton MP, of Abbotstown, County Dublin, and had issue,
Thomas, his heir;
JAMES, of whom we treat;
Trevor;
Caroline; Charlotte; Sophia; Jane; Harriette.
The second son,

THE VERY REV JAMES STANNUS, Dean of Ross and Rector of Lisburn, married, in 1816, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Erasmus Dixon Borrowes Bt, and had issue,
BEAUCHAMP WALTER (Rev);
Henry James, a general in the army;
Thomas Robert;
WALTER TREVOR, of whom we treat;
Harriet Jane; Elizabeth Emily Sophia.
The Dean died in 1876. His youngest son,

WALTER TREVOR STANNUS JP DL (1827-95), of Lisburn, County Antrim, and Moneymore, County Londonderry, married, in 1856, the Hon Catherine Geraldine, daughter of the Very Rev Henry Vesey-Fitzgerald, 3rd Baron Fitzgerald and Vesci, and had issue,
HENRY VESEY FITZGERALD, died young;
Gerald Walter James Fitzgerald;
Louisa Mabel Georgina, of The Manor House, Lisburn;
Geraldine Maude.
*****

Walter Trevor Stannus was Agent was the Worshipful Company of Drapers and his official residence was The Manor House, Moneymore.

THE MANOR HOUSE, Lisburn, County Antrim, was built ca 1860 for Walter Trevor Stannus.

In his excellent Gate Lodges of Ulster, JAK Dean describes it thus:
a rather plain Regency villa of about 1860 for the Stannus family, whose splendid crest (a talbot's head catching a dove) and motto ET VI ET VIRTUTE decorate the hall gable.
The grounds extended to a relatively modest twenty-one acres.

The gate lodge of the former main entrance survives at Manor Drive, Lisburn.

I'm seeking an image of The Manor house. Please get in touch if you have one.

The Manor House, Moneymore

THE MANOR HOUSE, Moneymore, County Londonderry, was built by the Worshipful Company of Drapers in 1835 and designed by W J Booth.

It was described thus:
a handsome end spacious mansion, three storey, with a lesser wing at each end. It is built of cut sandstone and has a portico supported by massive stone columns.
The lesser wings were originally two storeys high.

The cut sandstone was probably similar to that of the market house of 1839.

In 1875, alterations were carried out: The wings gained additional floors; the centre block received a cornice and balustrading parapet, and lost its stone facing which was not plastered over.

The Deputation visited Moneymore in the same year, where the renovated Manor House was ready for reception, but "the plaster was not dry ... the Agent was complimented on having the building ready on time".

Featherstone of Belfast was the architect, being appointed in 1873.

Walter Trevor Stannus succeeded Rowley Miller as Agent.

The Company disposed of the Manor House ca 1900.

In 1882, Sir William Fitzwilliam Conynghan was appointed Agent.

Later, the Manor House became a hotel and restaurant.


In recent renovations the building has lost its former substantial projecting porch.

First published in March, 2013.

No comments :