This is a junior branch of the ancient family of MUSGRAVE, of Great Musgrave, Westmorland, springing from
RICHARD MUSGRAVE, of Wortley, Yorkshire, who removed to Ireland, wedded Jane Proctor, and had an only surviving son,
CHRISTOPHER MUSGRAVE, who settled at Tourin, County Waterford, and marrying Susannah, daughter of James Usher, of Ballintaylor, was succeeded at his decease by his eldest son,
RICHARD MUSGRAVE (1746-1818), who was created a baronet in 1782, with remainder to the issue male of his father.
Sir Richard wedded, in 1782, Deborah, daughter of Sir Henry Cavendish Bt, and his wife Sarah, Baroness Waterpark, of Doveridge, Derbyshire, by whom he had no issue.
Sir Richard, who was a member of the Irish parliament, was known as a political writer, particularly by his History of the Irish Rebellion of 1798.
He died in 1818, when the title, according to the limitation, devolved upon his brother,
SIR CHRISTOPHER FREDERICK MUSGRAVE, 2nd Baronet (1738-1826), who espoused, in 1781, Jane, daughter of John Beere, of Ballyboy, County Tipperary, by whom he had issue,
RICHARD, his heir;Sir Christopher wedded secondly, in 1797, Elizabeth, daughter of William Nicholson, of Wilmer, County Tipperary, who died issueless in 1798; and thirdly, in 1801, Catherine, daughter of Pierce Power, of Affane, County Waterford, by whom he had a son,
Christopher Frederick, born in 1802.Sir Christopher died in 1826, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR RICHARD MUSGRAVE MP, 3rd Baronet (1790-1859), who married, in 1815, Frances, daughter of the Most Rev William Newcome DD, Lord Archbishop of Armagh, and had issue,
RICHARD, his heir;His eldest son,
SIR RICHARD MUSGRAVE, 4th Baronet (1820-74), was sometime Lord-Lieutenant of County Waterford.
SIR RICHARD JOHN MUSGRAVE, 5th Baronet, JP DL (1850-1930); married Jessie Sophia, daughter of Robert Dunsmuir, in 1891.
He died without male issue. His elder daughter, Joan Moira Maud Jameson (nee Musgrave) inherited the Tourin estate and her descendants live at Tourin today.His cousin,
SIR CHRISTOPHER NORMAN MUSGRAVE, 6th Baronet, OBE (1892-1956), married Kathleen, daughter of Robert Spencer Chapman, in 1918;
Captain, Royal Engineers; Lieutenant-Colonel, Staff, and OC Signal Company, 2nd World War; Chief Commissioner of Scouts, NI; Officer, Order of the British Empire, 1952. Sir Christopher inherited Norwood Tower, Strandtown, Belfast.His son and heir,
SIR RICHARD JAMES MUSGRAVE, 7th Baronet (1922-2000), married Maria, daughter of Colonel Mario Cambanis, in 1958; educated at Stowe; Captain, Indian Army, with Poona Horse (17th QVO Cavalry), 2nd World War.
His son and heir,
SIR CHRISTOPHER JOHN SHANE MUSGRAVE, 8th and present Baronet, born in 1959; educated at Cheltenham.
The heir presumptive of the baronetcy is Michael Shane Musgrave (b 1968), younger brother of the 8th Baronet.
THE SIX GOLDEN ANNULETS
From Mucegros, near Écouen, France: This name, so largely represented in England, is repeated further on in its modernized form of Musgrave; and the heralds, ignoring its origin, labour to affiliate it to the German graf.
They declare that, like Land-grave, Burg-grave, Mar-grave, &c, it is "a name of office:" and as Mews in old days meant the cage or place where hawks were kept while mewing (moulting), and in after times came to signify a stable, boldly announce that "Musgrave or Mewsgrave is clearly either the keeper of the King's hawks or the King's equerry."
In support of this etymological vagary, they tell us that once upon a time an Emperor of Germany or Archduke of Austria (we will accept either) had a beautiful daughter who was courted by two valiant nobles.
Each of them had done him such "singular good service that he did not care to prefer one to the other."
At last it was agreed that they should ride at the ring for the princess; and whichever succeeded in carrying it off should marry her.
Musgrave triumphantly drove his spear through the ring, became the Emperor's son-in-law, and in memory of his exploit, had the six golden annulets now borne by the Musgraves of Westmorland granted him for his coat-of-arms.
TOURIN HOUSE, near Cappoquin, County Waterford, was owned by the Roche family in the 17th century, passed to a family called Nettles and was purchased by Sir Richard Musgrave, 1st Baronet, MP for Lismore and sheriff of County Waterford, in 1778.
The family lived in a 17th century E-shaped dwelling with gables and tall chimneys, attached to the mediaeval tower of Tourin Castle, until the 3rd Baronet decided to build a new house on a more elevated site above the River Blackwater.
Built in 1840, the new Tourin House is a handsome Italianate villa in what would then have been the very latest style, possibly to the designs of the Waterford architect Abraham Denny.
These include an elaborate cornice, which supports the overhanging eaves, and a profusion of quoins and stringcourses.
The five-bay façade has a pair of projecting porches at both ends, both single storey and framed with limestone pilasters, which in turn flank an arcade of three round-headed windows.
The remaining fronts are mainly of four bays, though the ground floor of the rear facade is of five bays, with a delicate, bowed, iron verandah; while the garden front has a more robust single storey central bow.
Internally, Tourin is largely unaltered, with a splendid bifurcating imperial staircase of oak, which arises behind the hall.
The elder daughter of the 5th baronet inherited Tourin. She married Thomas Jameson and their granddaughters live in the house today.
THE GARDENS were laid out at the beginning of the 20th century by Richard Musgrave, with the help of his friend, the Cork brewer Richard Beamish.
The fine collection of rhododendrons, camellias, and magnolias are the creation of his grandson and his wife (the present owners' parents); while a number of mature oak and cedar trees, and a champion London plane, remain from the earlier garden and parkland layout.
The walled garden produces fruit, vegetables, herbs and cut flowers, and is home to an important collection of over a hundred bearded irises, which flower in May and June.
First published in May, 2013.