THE CROWN BAR, also known as the Crown Liquor Saloon, is one of three similarly scaled buildings lining the east side of Great Victoria Street, Belfast.
It is located at 46, Great Victoria Street, on a corner site, with its gabled south side elevation fronting onto Amelia Street.
It comprises three storeys, though the southern elevation extends as a two-storey attic return.
The bar stands almost directly opposite the Europa Hotel, at the end of a terrace.
This stucco-fronted building was built ca 1840, and remodelled ca 1898, including a decorative, tiled pub shopfront.
The interior was remodelled about 1885.
The pitched, natural slate roof was reconstructed about 2005.
A painted fascia reads 'THE CROWN BAR', each corner surmounted by urns.
The elaborately tiled pub shopfront has tiled panels divided into five bays by Corinthian tiled pilasters.
Three central bays are recessed to provide a porch, with a pair of pink and white marble Corinthian columns to full-span gilded glass fascia proclaiming "LIQUOR THE CROWN SALOON" and tiled panels to either end, stating "SPIRIT" and "VAULTS".
All are surmounted by a series of scrolls, finials and tiled scallops to either end.
The porch contains a mosaic tiled floor proclaiming "CROWN BAR", with etched and painted fixed-pane windows to three sides and tiled panels below.
THE CROWN BAR was recorded in the 1852 Belfast street directory as the Ulster Railway Hotel and Tavern, the proprietor being Terence O’Hanlon.