This branch settled in Ulster during the Plantation.
All the records of the family (originally Ogilvie) were destroyed by fire in Scotland, 1784.
The original residence was at Calhame, Aberdeenshire.
DR JOHN OGILVIE, of Aberdeen, who settled in Limavady, was a great friend of the celebrated Bishop Burnet.
He married Elizabeth Agnew, of the Scottish family of that name, who settled in County Antrim.
He was succeeded by his son,
ALEXANDER OGILBY, who changing the spelling of the name from Oglivie, married firstly, Ann Smith, and had issue,
ALEXANDER, his heir;Mr Ogilby wedded secondly, Mary Campbell, and had issue,
George;He was succeeded by his eldest son,
Robert (Dr), of Spring Hill, Limavady.
ALEXANDER OGILBY, who wedded Mary, eldest daughter of James Alexander, of Limavady (whose family came originally from Clackmannanshire in Scotland), by his wife Elizabeth Ross, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
Robert, of Pellipar;
David (Sir), East India Company;
Lesley, of Strangmore;Ann; Elizabeth; Mary; Jane.
He was also lessee of the estates of the Skinners' Company in County Londonderry.
Mr Alexander Ogilby was succeeded by his eldest son,
JOHN OGILBY, of Ardnargle, who married Jane, daughter of James Simpson, of Armagh, and had issue,
Alexander, dsp;Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his third son,
JAMES, his heir;
ROBERT LESLIE, of whom presently;
William, of Kilcatten;
Ann; Jane; Mary.
JAMES OGILBY, of Ardnargle, who wedded Bridget Rush, and dsp 1849.
Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his brother,
ROBERT LESLIE OGILBY JP DL (1798-1872), of Ardnargle, High Sheriff of County Londonderry, 1854, who espoused, in 1844, Elizabeth Matilda, daughter of Major William Henry Rainey, of the East India Company, and had issue,
ROBERT ALEXANDER, his heir;Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his eldest son,
John W H, dsp;
Margaret Harriet; Jane Ann; Elizabeth; Mary Isabella.
ROBERT ALEXANDER OGILBY JP DL (1850-1902), of Ardnargle, and Pellipar House, High Sheriff of County Londonderry, 1887, Captain, 4th King's Own Regiment, served in Zulu War.
Under the will of his great uncle, Robert Ogilby, he succeeded on the death of his cousin, James Ogilby, to the Limavady, Pellipar, Tyrone and Woolwich estates.
Mr Ogilby married, in 1875, Helen Sarah, second daughter of the Rev George Bomford Wheeler, Rector of Ballysax, County Kildare, and had issue,
ROBERT JAMES LESLIE, his heir;Captain Ogilby was succeeded by his only son,
Ethel Maude; Eileen Leslie; Mabel Norah; Esther Gladys; Mildred Constance.
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL ROBERT JAMES LESLIE OGILBY DSO JP DL (1880-1964), of Ardnargle and Pellipar, High Sheriff of County Londonderry, 1911, who married, in 1936, Isabel Katherine, daughter of Captain P C J Webster, though the marriage was without issue.
THE ogilbys were kinsmen of the Earl Alexander of Tunis and the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, through the line of the Alexanders of Limavady.
The Woolwich estate was bought at public auction in 1812 by Robert Ogilby (younger brother of John Ogilby), who also leased, in 1803, the Skinners estate at Dungiven and lived at Pellipar House.
Ardnargle was not strictly, therefore, a dower house for Pellipar, although it was used as such when R A Ogilby (1850-1902) inherited both properties from 1885 onwards.
The Ogilby family has had a proud military tradition: Major Robert Alexander Ogilby married Sarah Wheeler, daughter of Rev George Bomford Wheeler, a founder of the Irish Times, TCD classic scholar and contributor to Dickens' magazine, "All Year Round"; a DL for County Londonderry; captain 4th King's Own Regiment; and took part in the Zulu war (1879, medal).In 1902, Maurice Marcus McCausland, of Drenagh, married Eileen Leslie, daughter of R A Ogilby DL, of Pellipar.
|Photo credit: Rohan Boyle|
ARDNARGLE HOUSE, near Limavady, County Londonderry, was built by John Ogilby ca 1790.
It is a plain, two-storey, five bay house.
About 1854, a porch, three-sided bow, window surrounds with console brackets, and a modillion cornice were added by R L Ogilby.
John Ogilby purchased the farm from the Wilsons in 1781, built the house in 1790 and planted the trees.
Robert Leslie Ogilby extended it in 1840 and created the terrace.
|Photo credit: http://northernireland-awealthofhistory.doomby.com/|
The interior has classical Victorian plasterwork in the main reception rooms and hall.
First published in April, 2011.