Tuesday, 29 March 2016

Chambré of Hawthorn Hill

THE FAMILY OF CHAMBRÉ OWNED 1,281 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY ARMAGH

This family descends from JOHN DE LA CHAMBRÉ, who settled in Denbighshire, under Henry de Lacy, 3rd Earl of Lincoln, in 1275.

He is stated (in a very ancient pedigree in Norman French) to have been descended from
Johan de la Chambré, a nobelle Normanne, who entered England in ye traine of King William ye Conqueraure.
He married Mawith, daughter of Blethyn Vaughan, and had a son,

HENRY CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, living in 1236, who wedded Katherine, daughter of Edmond Charlton, and had a son,

JOSHUA CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, who espoused Margaret, daughter of Ludowick de la More, and had a son,

MORGAN CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, who married Anne, daughter of Peter le Knive, and had a son,

SAMUEL CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, who wedded Mary, daughter of William lloyd (or Rosendale), and had a son,

JOHN CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, who espoused Jane, daughter of John Conway, and had a son,

HUGH CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, who married Martha, daughter of William Ravenscroft, of Denbigh, and had three sons.

The third son,

WILLIAM CHAMBRÉ, of Lleweni, wedded Catherine, daughter and co-heir of Jenkin Pigott, of Denbigh, and had issue.

The eldest son, HENRY, was ancestor of the family of CHAMBRÉS of Pentre; while the second son,

ROBERT CHAMBRÉ, espoused Elizabeth Peake, and had, with a daughter, a son,

JENKIN CHAMBRÉ, who married the daughter of ______ Kynaston, and had a son,

RICHARD CHAMBRÉ, Lord of the Manor of Petton, Shropshire, who wedded Mary, daughter of John Hill, of Court of Hill, Ludlow, Shropshire.

He died in 1563, leaving a second son,

GEORGE CHAMBRÉ, of Petton, Shropshire, who espoused Judith, daughter and co-heir of Walter Calcott, of Williamscote, Oxfordshire, and had issue,
Calcott, dsp;
Calcott, MP, of Carnew and Shillelagh;
CALCOTT, of whom hereafter;
Hester.
The youngest son,

CALCOTT CHAMBRÉ, of Coolatrundle, County Wexford, born in 1602, left issue, two sons, viz.
Calcott;
CALCOTT, of Carnew.
The younger son,

CAPTAIN CALCOTT CHAMBRÉ, of Carnew, County Wicklow, married Mary, daughter of Oliver Walsh, of Dollardstown, County Kildare, and Ballykilcavan, Queen's County, by Edith his wife, sister of Raphael Hunt.

She administered to his will in 1723, and died in 1753, having had a son,

HUNT CALCOTT CHAMBRÉ, of Carnew Castle, County Wicklow, who wedded, in 1735, Anna Maria, eldest daughter and co-heir of William Meredith.

Mr Chambré died in 1782, having had (with other children who died unmarried) three daughters, and a son and successor,

MEREDITH CALCOTT CHAMBRÉ (1742-1812), of Hawthorn Hill, County Armagh, an officer in the army, who married, in 1785, Margaret, daughter and co-heir of George Faulkner, of Dublin, and by her had issue,
HUNT WALSH, his heir;
William, Major-General;
Maria, m Rev R Henry, Rector of Jonesborough.
Mr Chambré was succeeded by his eldest son,

HUNT WALSH CHAMBRÉ JP (1787-1848), of Hawthorn Hill, Captain, Mullaglass Yeomanry, High Sheriff, 1829, who wedded, in 1813, Rebecca, only daughter of William Upton, of Ballinabarney, County Limerick, and had issue,
MEREDITH, 1814-79;
William;
HUNT WALSH;
JOHN, of Hawthorn Hill;
Catherine; Anna Maria; Rebecca; Margaret Elizabeth;
Olivia Henrietta Elizabeth; Mary Frances; Jane Hunt.
The third son,

HUNT WALSH CHAMBRÉ JP (1831-1914), of Dungannon House, County Tyrone, espoused, in 1860, Mary Anne Brunette, daughter of John Brett Johnston, of Ballykilbeg, County Down, and had issue,
HUNT WALSH ALAN;
John Brett Johnstone Meredith;
William Thomas Meredith;
Charles Barclay Macpherson;
John;
William Henry;
Thomasina; Rebecca Mary Brunette; Olivia Isabella Kathleen;
Jane Henry Wray Young Mabel; Kathleen Georgaina Evelyn.
The fourth son,

CHARLES BARCLAY MACPHERSON CHAMBRÉ JP (1870-1950), of Hawthorn Hill, married, in 1906, Nina Lisa Francis Ochiltree, daughter of the Rev Alexander Stuart, and had issue, a son,

ALAN STUART HUNT CHAMBRÉ JP DL (1908-), of Ringdarriff, Annahilt, County Down, who wedded, in 1933, Violet Aileen, daughter of Wickham Hercules Bradshaw Moorhead, and had issue,
JOHN ALAN, his successor;
Jean Mary, b 1938;
Rosaleen Aileen, b 1946.
His only son,

JOHN ALAN CHAMBRÉ (1939-), married, in 1968, Elizabeth Mildred, daughter of John Horace Willcox, and had issue,
WILLIAM WICKHAM MEREDITH, b 1969;
Thomas John Charles, b 1976;
Sophia Gabrielle, b 1971;
Kate Mabel Elizabeth, b 1978.

HAWTHORN HILL was located at the foot of Slieve Gullion Mountain between Forkhill, County Armagh, and Newry, County Down.

It was built ca 1820 by Hunt Walsh Chambré.

The family is buried in Killevy churchyard.

During civil unrest in the 1920s the house was burnt.

It was subsequently reconstructed in its present form.

In 1968, the Chambré family sold the estate to the Northern Ireland Forestry Commission and the house was used until recently as its headquarters.

The demesne lies on the east-facing slopes of Slieve Gullion.

There are mature trees from the early 19th century, later exotics, and forest planting from the 1950s.

Modern landscaping and ornamental planting now form part of the walled garden and outbuildings, which now house the visitor centre for Slieve Gullion Forest Park.

The gate lodge of ca 1834 is opposite the entrance and replaced a lodge that was contemporary with the house.

*****

THE COURTYARD (above) remains and is used commercially for weddings and other functions.

It is located at the foot of Slieve Gullion with a walled garden to its north-west and Hawthorn House to its South.

There are two gate lodges: a modified back lodge to the north; and a restored gate lodge to the east, opposite the entrance gates to the park.

The early 19th century rectangular courtyard is enclosed to all sides by former stables and related farm buildings, now all refurbished as offices, apartments, conference centre and restaurant or service block by the Forest Service.

All buildings are constructed in coursed granite rubble with natural slate roofs.

The eastern side of the courtyard assumed its present form between 1861 and 1907.

It was sold to the Forestry Commission in 1968.

The present buildings were developed to provide resources for the local community and tourists and opened to the public in 1995.

The complex was taken over in 1999 by Clanrye Employment and Training Services, Newry.

No comments :