The family of ROBINSON was of considerable antiquity in the counties of Yorkshire and Westmorland.
WILLIAM ROBINSON, a merchant of London, purchased the estate of Rokeby in 1610 from Sir Thomas Rokeby, whose progenitors had resided there since the Conquest.
Mr Robinson paid a composition fine for declining the honour of knighthood at the coronation of CHARLES I.
He married Mary, daughter of Thomas Hall, of Thornton, Yorkshire, by whom he had, with other issue,
THOMAS, father of WILLIAM ROBINSON.Mr Robinson died in 1643, and was succeeded by his grandson,
WILLIAM ROBINSON, of Rokeby, who wedded Mary, eldest daughter and co-heir of Francis Layton, of Rawdon, West Yorkshire, and was succeeded by his only son,
THOMAS ROBINSON, who espoused Grace, daughter of Sir Henry Stapylton Bt, of Myton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire.
He died in 1719, and was succeeded by his only son,
WILLIAM ROBINSON, who married Anne, daughter and heir of Robert Walters, of Cundall, Yorkshire, by whom he left at his decease, in 1719,
THOMAS, cr a baronet in 1730;The fourth son,
William, 2nd Baronet;
RICHARD, 1st BARON ROKEBY;
THE MOST REV AND RT HON SIR RICHARD ROBINSON, 3RD BARONET (1708-94), Lord Archbishop of Armagh, Primate of All Ireland, and prelate of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick, was elevated to the peerage, in 1777, as BARON ROKEBY, of Armagh, with remainder to Matthew Robinson, the reversionary heir to the baronetcy.
Sir Richard, in 1764, was, on the death of Dr Stone, elevated to the archbishopric of Armagh, and primacy of all Ireland.
This high station he held for thirty years, during which he adorned the See by his munificence, and gained the affection and respect of the nation in a manner which was universally acknowledged, and which will hand down his name to posterity with honour.
In his latter years, in a green old age, His Grace passed much of his time in England; dividing it principally between Bath and London, where his hospitable table was always open to the higher classes of the country whose church was under his rule, while his charities and public works commanded the esteem and gratitude of all.
His Grace was a privy counsellor as well as being a peer, hence the prefix Right Honourable and post-nominal letters PC.
In 1780 he gifted land for the erection of a new prison and in 1778 he founded the Public Library.
In 1790, he founded the Armagh Observatory as part of his plan for a university in Armagh.
Robinson also built the archiepiscopal palace (above) at Armagh, now Council offices.
The Primate's Chapel, above, stands adjacent to the Palace.
His Grace's cousin,
MATTHEW ROBINSON, 2nd Baron (1713-1800), of Edgeley, died unmarried,
- Matthew Robinson, 2nd Baron (1713–1800);
- Morris Robinson, 3rd Baron(1757–1829);
- Matthew Montagu, 4th Baron (1762–1831);
- Edward Montagu, 5th Baron (1787–1847);
- Henry Montagu, 6th Baron (1798–1883).
The Barony expired on the death of the 6th Baron Rokeby in 1883.
First published in August, 2010. Rokeby arms courtesy of European Heraldry.