Thursday, 9 June 2011

At Belgrave Square

Having taken the Tube from Northwick Park into central London this morning, I proceeded to revisit several of the old haunts, viz. St James's, Belgravia etc.

I photographed Wilton's menu. Click on images to enlarge them.


I see that Trumper's have a branch beside Turnbull & Asser, up a little side street. I walked through the Green Park, towards the Palace, where a band of the Irish Guards was playing; thence past the Royal Mews - where I inquired about an official souvenir programme for the Royal Wedding (out of stock).


I discovered the splendid little Goring Hotel nearby, so ambled into the lounge-bar - most civilised - where I partook of a Tanqueray snifter. I do like the lounge here, just like a demi-grand country house. Dear readers, one Tanqueray - 25ml - and tonic-water costs the princely sum of £11.81, including 12.5% service.


Thence I asked for the gentelmen's cloakrom: "past the Queen Mother and hard right!". A bronze of Her late Majesty, that is.


I walked out on on to Belgrave Square, where I admired Downshire House, very grand erstwhile residence of the Marquesses of Downshire; and latterly the Viscount Pirrie; and now the Spanish Embassy. I am told that the good Lord Ballyedmond has a modest pad here, though I cannot recall the number.


BP commended a charming little bar called the Star Tavern, at Belgrave Mews West, so I eventually found it and sampled a Bombay Sapphire and tonic on this occasion. This establishment is renowned in the metropolis for its hanging baskets.


I was imbibing on Grosvenor Estate property, all owned by His Grace the Duke of Westminster, Ulsterman born at Omagh, County Tyrone.

And so I made for the Victoria tube and back to Northwick Park on the "Met Line".

2 comments :

Cally_222 said...

Ballyedmond is at No 9 Belgrave Sq, I'm sure he has the Tanqueray ready and waiting for you.
There's an article here about the house:
http://tinyurl.com/43wc3hn

Timothy Belmont said...

I wrote him a personal letter, to his residence at Ballyedmond Castle. I didn't receive an acknowledgment.