Thursday, 31 December 2020

Barcroft of The Glen

AMBROSE BARCROFT (1574-1648), of The Haigh, near Foulridge, Lancashire, and afterwards of Foulridge Hall, son of THOMAS BARCROFT, of Foulridge Hall, son of HENRY BARCROFT, of Foulridge, younger son of WILLIAM BARCROFT, of Barcroft, Lancashire (who died in 1581), where his family was seated from the earliest times to which records extend, down to the middle of the 17th century.

Barcroft passed by the marriage of one of his daughters and co-heirs of Thomas Barcroft, of Barcroft, last of his line, who died in 1668 (great-grandson of William Barcroft, above mentioned) to the Bradshaws, and afterwards by purchase to the Townleys.

Ambrose Barcroft married Mary, daughter of ________ Hartley, of Wellhead, near Colne, Lancashire, and had issue,
Thomas, of The Haigh;
Ambrose (Ven), Archdeacon of Kilmore; went to Ireland with his brother;
WILLIAM, of whom presently;
John (Rev), Rector of Roughton;
Paul, of York;
Robert. settled in Bedfordshire; ancestor of the BEARCROFT family;
Mary; Janet.
The third son,

WILLIAM BARCROFT (1612-96), went over to Ireland and settled at Ballylaking, King's County, wedded firstly, Grace, daughter of Henry Rycroft, of Moss House, within Foulridge, and by her had five children, who were drowned with their mother when crossing to Ireland to join her husband.

Mr Barcroft espoused secondly, in 1652, Margaret, daughter of Daniel Bernard, of Colne, and had issue,
AMBROSE, of whom presently;
Thomas, dsp;
John, a minister of the Society of Friends;
Ellen.
William Barcroft died at Drumcooley, King's County, and was buried at Rosenallis, Queen's County.

His eldest son,

AMBROSE BARCROFT, of Drumcooley, King's County, born near Thornton, in Yorkshire, married, in 1676, Jane, daughter of William Slade, of Athlone, and had issue,
Ambrose (died unmarried);
WILLIAM, his heir;
Thomas;
Ellen; Alice.
Mr Barcroft died at Drumcooley in 1687, and was succeeded by his second son,

WILLIAM BARCROFT (1681-1709), of Ballybrittan, King's County, who wedded, in 1705, Ellen, daughter of Joseph Inman, and had issue,
Joseph, of Dublin;
AMBROSE, of whom presently;
Elizabeth, died in infancy.
The younger son,

AMBROSE BARCROFT (1707-), of Dublin, espoused, in 1733, Abigail, daughter of Thomas Wilcocks, and had issue,
WILLIAM, of whom presently;
Thomas;
Joseph;
Ambrose;
Elizabeth.
The eldest son,

WILLIAM BARCROFT (1734-72), of Dublin, married, in 1757, Mary, daughter of John Pim, of Lackagh, and had issue,
Joseph;
JOHN, of whom hereafter;
George;
Ambrose.
The second son,

JOHN BARCROFT (1758-1815), of Lisburn, County Antrim, wedded, in 1797, Sarah, daughter of James Hogg, of Lisburn (uncle of Sir James Weir Hogg Bt), and had issue,
JOSEPH, his heir;
William James;
John Pim;
Ruth; Mary.
Mr Barcroft was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOSEPH BARCROFT (1799-1855), of Lisburn, and afterwards of Stangmore Lodge, Dungannon, County Tyrone, who espoused, in 1838, Mary, daughter of John Wandesford Wright, and had issue,
HENRY, his heir;
Elizabeth, m 1864, Sir Samuel Lee Anderson (Principal Crown Solicitor for Ireland);
Sarah, of Stangmore Lodge, m William Barcroft.
Mr Barcroft was succeeded by his son,

HENRY BARCROFT JP DL (1839-1905), of The Glen, County Armagh, High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1890, who married, in 1867, Anna (The Glen, Newry), daughter of David Malcomson, of Melview, County Tipperary, and had issue,
JOSEPH, his heir;
David Malcomson;
Sarah Richardson; Mary; Anna Henrietta.
Mr Barcroft was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR JOSEPH BARCROFT CBE (1872-1947), of The Glen, Newry, County Down, Fellow of the Royal Society, who wedded, in 1903, Mary Agnetta, younger daughter of Sir Robert Stawell Ball, and had issue,
HENRY;
Robert Ball, Lt-Col (1909-88).
The elder son,

HENRY BARCROFT (1904-98), of London, married Bridget Mary, daughter of Arthur Stanley Ramsey, and had issue,
John, b 1936;
Michael Joseph, b 1938;
Roger Henry, b 1947;
Sarah Agnes, b 1942.
The eldest son,

DR JOHN BARCROFT, was a consultant in child psychiatry at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.


THE GLEN, Newry, County Down, formerly called Turner Hill, was once the property of Baron Frederick Lewis von Stieglitz*, who later sold it to Henry Barcroft.


*
Baron von Stieglitz (1803-66), a JP for counties Armagh and Down, proceeded, in early life, to Tasmania, where he became possessed of considerable property, and was a member of the Legislative Council of Tasmania during Sir William Denison's Government.

After 1850 he returned to Ireland, and resided at The Glen.

The Baron married firstly, Mrs Ransom; and secondly, in 1859, Hester Anna, daughter of George Blacker, of Carrickblacker

Hester Anna accordingly became Baroness von Stieglitz, of Carrickblacker.

Baron von Stieglitz is buried in the family vault at Derryloran, near Cookstown, County Tyrone.

Do any readers possess images of The Glen House?

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Closely related to the Richardsons of Moyallon & Bessbrook. I was always given to understand that John Grubb Richardson had bought The Glen for the Barcrofts.