ROBERT McCULLAGH, of Mullaghbrack, County Armagh, married Nancy Crawford and had issue, a son,
ROBERT McCLAVE McCULLAGH (1822-78), of Dinnahorra, County Armagh, who wedded Mary Jane Hawthorne, and had issue,
Samuel (1866-94);The younger son,
CRAWFORD, of whom hereafter;
Anna Margaret; Jemima; Eliza Jane; Selina.
CRAWFORD McCULLAGH (1868-1935), of Lismara, County Antrim, married, in 1896, Margaret Craig, daughter of William Brodie, of Bolton Le Moors, Lancashire.
He served the office of Lord Mayor of Belfast, 1914-17, 1931-42 and 1943-46.
Mr McCullagh received the honour of knighthood in 1915, and he was created a baronet in 1935:
Whitehall, July 11, 1935: Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm granting the dignity of a Baronet of the United Kingdom to the under-mentioned gentlemen, and the heirs male of their respective bodies lawfully begotten:- Sir Crawford McCullagh, of Lismara in the parish of Carnmoney in the County of Antrim, Knight...In 1938, Sir Crawford negotiated the donation of Belfast Castle and its 200-acre demesne (bordering on Hazelwood and Bellevue pleasure grounds) with Lord Shaftesbury.
He also officially opened the Floral Hall.
Sir Crawford was a director of several businesses in Belfast, including Maguire and Patterson (Vespa matches); the Classic Cinema, Castle Place; and McCullagh and Co., silk mercers, milliners and fancy draperies, taken over by Styles and Mantles in 1927.
- Company director and businessman;
- Lord Mayor of Belfast, 1914-17, 1931-42 and 1943-46;
- High Sheriff of Belfast, 1911;
- MP for Belfast South, 1921-25;
- Member, NI Senate;
- Privy Counsellor, NI.
General Eisenhower is said to have been Lismara'a most famous visitor, in 1945.
Now known as Abbeydene, it is a guest-house.
Lismara House was built by Sir Charles Lanyon in 1850 for John Finlay, who was a flax merchant.
Lismara acted as General Eisenhower’s County Antrim GHQ during the 2nd World War.
The grounds formerly extended to 19 acres.
From 1895 until 1915 Edward Robinson, of Robinson and Cleaver's department store, lived there.
Sir Crawford's son,
SIR JOSEPH McCULLAGH, 2nd Baronet (1907-74), was probably the foremost authority on ornithology in Northern Ireland in the years preceding his death.
He was Patron of the Northern Ireland Ornithology Club.
He died in 1974, when the title became extinct; by which time his widow Elizabeth, Lady McCullagh, lived at 104 Knock Road, Belfast.
First published in June, 2010.