ADMIRAL LORD CHARLES WILLIAM DE LA POER BERESFORD, Baron Beresford, GCB, GCVO, was born in 1846 at Philipstown, County Offaly.
He was the second son of John, 4th Marquess of Waterford, and brother of John, 5th Marquess.
Lord Charles married, in 1878, Mina, daughter of Richard Gardner, at London.
He was educated at Bayford School, and Mr Foster's School, Stubbington, Hampshire.
His distinguished career is very well documented already.
Admiral Beresford was elevated to the peerage as BARON BERESFORD, of Metemmeh and Curraghmore, County Waterford, in 1916.
Lord Beresford died three years later, in 1919, when the barony became extinct.
He died at Langwell, Berriedale, Caithness, aged 73.
After a State funeral at St Paul's Cathedral, Lord Beresford was buried at Putney Vale Cemetery in south London.
His patronage extended largely to Trinity College, Dublin; to the College of Saint Columba; and he restored Armagh Cathedral, at a cost of £30,000.
Furthermore, His Grace augmented the salaries of his clergy.
The bust of this distinguished prelate stands in the private chapel at Curraghmore, County Waterford.
He is interred in Armagh Cathedral.
First published in May, 2013. Beresford arms courtesy of European Heraldry.