WILLIAM HOGG (d 1716) moved to Ulster from Scotland or northern England during the late 17th century and settled at Lisburn, County Antrim.
He married firstly, in 1677, Mary Podefield; and secondly, in 1686, Elizabeth Wilson, and by her had issue,
WILLIAM, his heir;Mr Hogg died in 1716 and was succeeded by his eldest son,
WILLIAM HOGG, who wedded, in 1718, Elizabeth Higginbothom, and had by her,
William;Mr Hogg died in 1726, and was succeeded by his youngest son,
EDWARD, his successor;
EDWARD HOGG (1722-1809), of Lisburn, County Antrim, who espoused, in 1752, Rose, daughter of the Rev John O'Neill, by whom he had issue,
WILLIAM, his successor;Mr Hogg was succeeded by his elder son,
WILLIAM HOGG (1754-1824), of Lisburn, who married, in 1783, Mary, daughter of James Dickey, and by her had issue,
JAMES WEIR, his successor;Mr Hogg was succeeded by his elder son,
Mary; Clara; Rosina; Lily Anne Maria.
THE RT HON SIR JAMES WEIR HOGG, 1ST BARONET (1790-1876), lawyer and MP, appointed a Privy Counsellor in 1872.
Sir James wedded, in 1822, Mary Claudine, daughter of Samuel Swinton, by whom he had issue, no less than fourteen children.
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR JAMES MacNAGHTEN McGAREL-HOGG, 2nd Baronet, KCB (1823-90), who was created, in 1887, BARON MAGHERAMORNE, of Magheramorne, County Antrim.
His lordship wedded, in 1857, Caroline Elizabeth Emma, daughter of Edward, 1st Baron Penrhyn, by whom he had issue,
JAMES DOUGLAS, 2nd Baron;His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,
DUDLEY STUART, 3rd Baron;
RONALD TRACEY, 4th Baron;
JAMES DOUGLAS, 2nd Baron (1861-1903), who married, in 1889, Lady Evelyn Ashley-Cooper, daughter of Anthony, 8th Earl of Shaftesbury, and by her had issue, a daughter, Norah Ecelyn McGarel-Hogg.
His lordship died without male issue, when the titles drvolved upon his next brother,
DUDLEY STUART, 3rd Baron (1863-1946), who died a bachelor, when the titles devolved upon his brother,
RONALD TRACY, 4th Baron (1863-1957), who died unmarried.
Thereafter the barony expired,, though the baronetcy remains extant.
As of 2006, the presumed 9th Hogg Baronet has not successfully proven his succession, and is consequently not on the Official Roll of the Baronetage.
However, the succession is under review by the Registrar of the Baronetage.
The merchant and philanthropist Quintin Hogg, 7th son of the 1st Hogg Baronet, was the father of Douglas Hogg, 1st Viscount Hailsham, twice Lord Chancellor of the United Kingdom.
It replaced an earlier house of 1817 called Ballylig House.
Magheramorne House is listed, as is the lodge (dated 1881) and outbuildings.
There is evidence of planting from both eras but the layout of the grounds is essentially in the style of the late 19th century, though there has been further upgrading in the 1930s.
The house is set on a fine site in a declivity with views to the north-east over Larne Lough.
The ground rises steeply to the west and south and there are two glens immediately behind the house which are planted with trees and have paths and bridges to give ornamental walks up through the glens.
The streams level out to the immediate east of the house and there are woodland walks in this area.
There is a maintained formal terrace garden to the north-east of the house with a stone fountain.
The avenue is of lime and a small area of parkland between this and the road contains mature trees.
The House was formerly a hotel.
The grounds have been adapted to a low maintenance regime whilst retaining the bare bones of a late-Victorian layout.
Magheramorne House was the country seat of the Hogg family till 1904, when Colonel James McCalmont acquired it.
Around 1932, the Magheramorne Estate,including the house, was purchased by Major Harold Robinson, who is attributed with transforming the house and grounds by recreating the gardens and walks but also planting many of the 150 difference species of woodland trees.
Many of these are still located within the Estate today.
Magheramorne House is now a listed building and during the last century was a residential home before becoming a privately-owned hotel in the 1970s.
The hotel closed in the late 1990s, prior to Rex Maughan’s purchase in 2000.
First published in August, 2010.