Saturday, 26 September 2015
Ardfert was established in the 5th century, and Limerick before the 13th.
Presumably the last bishop to reside at the palace was the Right Rev Wiliam Gore, Lord Bishop of Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe from 1772-84.
THE PALACE, Limerick, is a three-storey, five-bay house of ca 1740, of limestone.
The entrance is Venetian in style.
The palace remained the official residence of the Lord Bishops of Limerick until 1784.
The palace underwent a major restoration in 1990.
It is adjacent to the Norman King John's Castle, and abuts a row of terraced alms houses, close to the grounds of Saint Munchin's Church further north along narrow Church Street.
A bishop's palace has been on this site since at least the 17th century.
It is thought that parts of the earlier structure were incorporated, largely at basement level, within the classical 18th-century structure.
The proportions of the window openings, which decrease with each storey, achieve a symmetrical classical façade.
It is also among the earliest examples of a formal classical composition within the city of Limerick.
The former episcopal palace is distinguished by limestone ashlar detailing, such as the door-case and eave cornice on the front and side elevations.
It is presently the headquarters of Limerick Civic Trust, which was responsible for the restoration of the building in 1990.