This is one of the the oldest streets in Belfast, where the River Farset used to flow openly along High Street itself (it still does, though it's culverted).
|High Street ca 1830|
This street is mentioned as far back as 1685; it was, however, significantly affected by the 1941 blitz.
In 1974, The Albert Inn stood at 3 Skipper Street; then it changed its name to the Blackthorn Bar.
The buildings are now all relatively recent since many, if not most, were destroyed by bombing during the 2nd World War.
The most notable premises today are The Merchant Hotel - formerly the Ulster Bank head office - which now runs along the entire left-hand side of the street (the even numbers).
The Spaniard Bar is at number three and Jackson Sports is located at the corner of Skipper Street and High Street.
First published in July, 2009.