CAPTAIN JOHN LYONS, of Drogheda, County Louth, second son of John Lyons, of Ledestown, County Westmeath, by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Henry Williams, Deputy-Governor of Antigua, married Dorothea, daughter of Hugh Montgomery, son of Sir Thomas Montgomery, Knight, and had issue,
John, killed in a duel, 1754;The second son,
HUGH, of whom presently;
Charles, town major of Halifax.
HUGH LYONS (1750-92), assuming the name of MONTGOMERY, wedded, in 1773, Catherine, daughter of Richard, 4th Viscount Boyne, and had issue,
HUGH, his heir;Mr Lyons-Montgomery was succeeded by his son,
Charles (Rev), Rector of Innismagrath;
Georgina; Elizabeth; Catherine.
HUGH LYONS-MONTGOMERY (1780-1826), of Belhavel, County Leitrim, who wedded, in 1812, Elizabeth, daughter of the Very Rev Stewart Blacker, of Carrickblacker, County Armagh, Dean of Leighlin, and by her (who wedded secondly, Monsieur de Champrè) had issue,
HUGH, his heir;Mr Lyons-Montgomery was succeeded by his eldest son,
Lambert Stewart, Lt-Col, Scots Fusiliers;
Charles, Capt 65th Bengal Infantry;
Elizabeth; Caroline; Sophia; Louisa.
HUGH LYONS-MONTGOMERY JP DL (1816-82), High Sheriff, 1840, MP for the county, 1852-7, who espoused, in 1840, Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Smith, of Annesbrook, County Meath; and had issue,
Hugh, died in 1874;Mr Lyons-Montgomery was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,
HENRY WILLOUGHBY STEWART, his heir;
Lambert de Winton;
Kynaston Walter Otho;
Elizabeth; Caroline Matilda; Ada Louisa Mary;
Evelyn Clemina;Henrietta Emily Anna; Florence Maud;
Norma Wilhelmina; Ethel Constance; Beatrice Cecilia Blanche.
HENRY WILLOUGHBY STEWART LYONS-MONTGOMERY (1850-), of Belhavel, Lieutenant, Leitrim Militia, who married, in 1876, Jane Singer, only child of Captain Travers Crofton, of Lakefield.
BELHAVEL HOUSE, near Killargue, County Leitrim, was built during the Irish Famine.
The family took up residence there in 1850.
Owing to Mr Lyons-Montgomery's impecunious circumstances, his house and estate were declared bankrupt by a Dublin High Court in 1880.
As a consequence, he, his wife and some family members moved to France where he died a few years later.
By 1900 the big house was in ruins and was demolished by the land commission.
The Irish tourist association survey in the 1940s recorded that "every stone was taken away to build houses throughout the district".
An earlier castle, also in Belhavel, is reputed to have been built by the first Montgomery to settle in the area in the 17th century.
Unfortunately I have no images of Belhavel House.
First published in September, 2012.