It lies parallel to, and south of the diocese of Clogher, extending fifty-eight miles in length and between ten and twenty in breadth, through four counties, viz. Cavan, Leitrim, Meath, and Fermanagh in Northern Ireland.
The See House, Kilmore, County Cavan, was built by the Right Rev George de la Poer Beresford, Lord Bishop of Kilmore, 1802-39, and of Kilmore and Ardagh, 1839-41.
It was occupied by a further sixteen bishops.
It is believed that the last bishop to reside at the palace was the Right Rev Michael Mayes, Bishop of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh from 1993-2000.
|See House, Kilmore, built in 2013|
A new see house was built at a different location closer to the cathedral parish hall in 2013.
THE SEE HOUSE, Kilmore, County Cavan, is a Grecian-Revival mansion of three storeys over a basement.
It was built between 1835-7.
This former episcopal residence, attributed to William Farrell, comprises a three-bay entrance front.
There is an irregular five-bay rear elevation with pilasters flanking wide east bay, and a shallow bow to central bays.
The roof is concealed by a parapet.
The house is rendered over squared rubble stone walls.
An ashlar pediment, and tympanum with episcopal coat-of-arms.
The ashlar portico has paired Doric pilasters.
This is an impressive classical-revival house in an austere Grecian style.
The former bishop's palace is substantially intact, retaining its original character and form, and its setting on a wooded hill surrounded by meadow, near the Cathedral.
The architectural form of the house is enriched by many original features and materials, such as cut stone details, timber sashes with historic glass, and panelled doors.
The old see house has a long ecclesiastical association, having replaced an earlier bishop's palace to the north of the former cathedral, and the later 19th-century Kilmore Cathedral.
The mansion house is the centrepiece of an architectural group consisting of fine outbuildings, gate lodge, and entrance gates, and forms part of the significant ecclesiastical complex of Kilmore Cathedral, the old Cathedral, and nearby graveyard.