|McCance of Knocknagoney|
THE BELL of Bangor Abbey, County Down, dating from 825AD, was reputedly found at the Abbey ca 1780, and it is speculated that it had been hidden at the time of the Viking attacks on Irish monasteries.
It was in private hands for some 150 years, and then housed in the Ulster Museum before coming to Bangor Borough Council in the 1950s.
The cast-iron bronze bell would have been used to call the monks to prayer.
In the old Ulster Journal of Archæology it was recorded that
"this bell was found in the ruins of the abbey about sixty years ago" (last decade of the 18th century) and was in 1853 in possession of Dr Stephenson, of Belfast."The Bell has been housed in North Down Museum , Bangor, since 1984.
It shows the flowering of Irish Christian civilisation which was set back by the pagan Viking attacks.
The bell would have been used to call the monks to prayer.