This diocese comprises the greater part of County Donegal, being 56 miles in length from north to south, and 40 in breadth.
The cathedral, which also serves as a parish church, stands in the small town of Raphoe.
THE PALACE, Raphoe, County Donegal, otherwise known as Raphoe Castle, is a ruinous 17th century edifice on the outskirts of the town.
The castle was built in 1636 for the Right Rev John Leslie, Lord Bishop of Raphoe, 1633-61.
It was partly fortified, with square corner towers; two storeys over a basement.
The front comprised three bays, with an extra bay in each tower.
A third storey, with bartizans and battlements, was added in the 18th century by the Right Rev John Oswald.
The old palace was destroyed by fire in the 1830s.
The Right Rev William Bissett was the last Lord Bishop of Raphoe before the diocese was amalgamated with that of Derry.