The building comprises two storeys over a ground-level basement.
It is built of red brick and matching sandstone; windows are paired.
The centre bay at May Street protrudes a little, with an arcaded balcony, corbels and Venetian-style capitals.
The door is fan-lighted with a rose window below.
The pediment at the top of the building has the carved burning bush emblem of Presbyterianism.
At the Montgomery Street side, there was a four-storey, ecclesiastical-style tower with a pyramidal roof (now the main entrance), though its top has been shorn off.
|May Street elevation|
The section of the building at the corner of Montgomery Street and Music Hall Lane is of four storeys, with a large rose window at the top.
It's thought that the premises ceased to be church property post 1905, when the new Church House was built at Fisherwick Place.
This building has been occupied by Ross’s Auctioneers and Valuers for several decades.
The current Presbyterian Assembly Building was constructed between 1899-1905, during which time the offices on May Street continued to be occupied by the various ecclesiastical organisations.
This Victorian building has since been the auction-house of John Ross & Company, of whom Daniel Clarke has been proprietor since 1988.
First published in January, 2013.