WILLIAM JONES, his heir;John Tew;Thomas Knox, JP, of Fellow's Hall;Helen; Anne; Diana Jane.
WILLIAM FORTESCUE, 7th Hussars (1843-71);HENRY BRUCE, of whom hereafter.
WILLIAM FORTESCUE, lieutenant, RA;
Michael Richard Leader;
James Robert Bargrave;
Frances Margaret Alice; Dorothea Gertrude; Margaret Helen Elizabeth.
WILLIAM FORTESCUE ARMSTRONG DSO MC (1885-1928), who married, in 1920, Madeleine Marthe Emilie Marie, daughter of Marie Joseph Georges Ferdinand Toucas, by whom he had issue,
MICHAEL HENRY ARMSTRONG MBE DL (1924-82),
Born in France, 1924; Royal Irish Fusiliers; Chairman, Ulster Young Unionist Council, 1950; DL, 1952; County Councillor and Vice-Chairman, 1955-73; Ulster Special Constabulary, 1957-70; Trustee, Ulster Folk Museum, 1958-73; Irish Guards, Regular Army Reserve of Officers; District Commandant for Armagh, 1961-70; Trustee of the Ulster Museum, 1962; High Sheriff, 1965; Vice-Chairman, Craigavon Development Commission, 1965-73; MBE, 1970; honorary Secretary, Ulster Unionist Council, 1970-74; Ulster Defence Regiment, 2nd County Armagh Battalion.Major Armstrong wedded, in 1954, Kathleen Mary Perceval, daughter of James Bargrave Robert Armstrong by his wife, the Hon Kathleen Marion Napier, and had issue,
EDWARD JAMES MAXWELL, b 1958;
Robert William Fortescue, b 1960;
Anne Helen Madeleine; Florence Kathleen Margaret; Jane Elizabeth Alice.
EDWARD JAMES ARMSTRONG, wedded, in 1991, Jill J O'Dowd, and has issue,
WILLIAM EDWARD, b 1993;
Henry Cornelius, b 1998;
Madeleine Margaret, b 1995.
It was originally built for the Very Rev Hugh Hamilton, Dean of Armagh, ca 1772-74; and altered in 1887.
A wing was added in 1896.
The Armstrong family have lived at Dean's Hill since they bought it from the Representative Church Body of the Church of Ireland in 1888.
A stone gatehouse on the road draws visitors up the long, gently curving driveway leading through green, daffodil-strewn fields, with mature trees and a large Cedar of Lebanon in the rambling garden.
Dean's Hill sits on an elevated site.
There are views for a great distance, as far as the Sperrins, from the north front entrance.
This house and the Observatory are both associated with the palace in inception and, as such, are smaller examples of Georgian landscaping.
The austere classical buildings are on high ground set in lawns, with sweeping approaches and well disposed trees that give shelter and allow for vistas.
The Dean’s Hill avenue is flanked by fine limes.
A row of yew trees, a wisteria, glasshouse and a box- edged border have been introduced near the house during the 19th century.
The partially walled garden has an orchard, kitchen garden and vinery.
There was a large elm tree that succumbed to disease, but a notable laburnum is thought to be very old.
The gate lodge is ca 1845 and the original 18th century gates have gone due to road re-alignment in recent years.
Fellows Hall, near Killylea, is "a Victorian Italianate re-building of a house of 1762, itself a re-building of a 17th century house."
It comprises two storeys over a basement, with a five-bay front, round-headed windows with keystones on the upper storey.
There is a tripartite doorway with a triple window above it; and a bracket cornice.
Fellows Hall demesne was established in the 17th century and parts of the present house date from 1664 (including the farm).
Nothing typical of a 17th century layout is in existence.
The curving avenue is lined with mature oak and beech and there is a belt of woodland on a ridge to the north of the house.
There is a maintained ornamental garden, with a very attractive circle of box-edged rose beds and a herbaceous border.
A hedged cultivated productive garden takes the place of a walled garden. A derelict gate lodge survives.
Fellows Hall passed through marriage from the Maxwell family (Lords Farnham) to the Armstrong and Stronge families; thereafter to the McClintock family.
Killylea, and Dean's Hill are both in County Armagh.
First published in February, 2012.