Tuesday, 10 March 2020

Smyly of Camus


JOHN SMYLY came from Scotland, and settled at Carrigullin, near Camus, County Tyrone, in 1628.

He left three sons,
Robert, b 1636;
Thomas, b 1638.
The eldest son,

JOHN SMYLY, married and was father of

ROBERT SMYLY (1676-1742), of Camus, who left issue, two sons,
JOHN, his heir;
Robert, of Carrigullin.
The elder son,

JOHN SMYLY (1700-87), of Camus, wedded firstly, in 1727, Prudence Williams, and had issue,
WILLIAM, his heir;
He espoused secondly, 1752, Margaret Moore.

The elder son,

WILLIAM SMYLY (1730-1812), of Camus, married, in 1759, Jane, eldest daughter and co-heir of John Armstrong, of Strabane, County Tyrone, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
The son and heir,

JOHN SMYLY KC (1767-1821), Barrister, wedded, in 1796, Belissa, daughter of John Crampton, of Merrion Square, Dublin, and sister of Sir Philip Crampton Bt, the celebrated surgeon, and had issue,
JOHN GEORGE, his heir;
Cecil (Rev), Vicar of Carlingford;
Josiah (Dr), of Merrion Square;
William (Rev), Rector of Aghanloo;
Philip, Major-General in the army;
Belissa; Anne; Charlotte.
The eldest son,

JOHN GEORGE SMYLY QC DL (1797-1866), Barrister, espoused, in 1828, Eliza, daughter and co-heir of Sir Andrew Ferguson Bt, of Castlederg, County Tyrone (by his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Alexander, and niece of the 1st Earl of Caledon), and had issue,
JOHN GEORGE, his heir;
Andrew Ferguson (Very Rev), Dean of Derry;
WILLIAM CECIL, succeeded his brother;
Elizabeth Ferguson; Ellen Belissa.
The eldest son,

JOHN GEORGE SMYLY (1829-1912), of Camus and Castlederg, County Tyrone, Major, Derry Militia, died unmarried, and was succeeded by his brother,

HIS HONOUR JUDGE WILLIAM CECIL SMYLY KC (1840-1921), of Camus and Castlederg, County Court Judge at Bow and Shoreditch, who married, in 1884, Alice, only daughter of Samuel Brooks, of Watford, and had issue,
Alexander Ferguson, b 1886;
Alice Eileen; Sylvia Mary.
Click to Enlarge

CAMUS HOUSE, near Sion Mills, County Tyrone, was built ca 1870 on the site of an earlier dwelling.

This is a three-bay, two-storey house, located to the east side of Lisky Road.

This large house displays good style and proportions and retains many of its original features including a richly detailed Victorian interior.

The relatively plain exterior appearance of the house is enriched by corbelled eaves and sandstone dressings.

The building, which incorporates an earlier rear return of equal importance, remains an important architectural feature of the local area.

The site is given further interest by the extensive range of outbuildings to the south-east of the house.

The outbuildings remain intact and well maintained, and the presence of a flax-drying green and flax mill to the east supplement the significance of this site in the context of rural industry in the local area.

The front of the main house is partly on the site of older buildings, though no other buildings overlap with the 1855 group.

I'm seeking images of Camus House (also known as The Grange).

London residence ~ 84 St George's Square.

First published in February, 2018.  Selective bibliography ~ Foyle Civic Trust.

No comments :