JEAN GERVAIS, of Tournon, Guivenne, France, married Anne Fabre, and had two sons,
PIERRE, of whom we treat;After their parents' death, and while still children, they fled with an uncle at the revocation of the edict of Nantes, and settled in England. In 1710,
DANIEL, the younger, was naturalized, and subsequently became a captain in the British army, and gentleman usher to Queen Anne.
He wedded Pauline Belagnier, daughter of the minister of the French Protestant church, Dublin, but dsp.
His brother, elder son of Jean Gervais,
PIERRE GERVAIS, espoused, in 1717, Marie Françoise Girard, and died in 1730, having had three sons, the eldest of whom,
PETER GERVAIS (1722-1800), Collector of Revenue, Armagh, wedded, in 1763, Elizabeth, fourth daughter of the Rev Samuel Close, of Elm Park, County Armagh.
They both died in 1800, leaving issue,
FRANCIS, of whom hereafter;The only son,
Mary Anne, m Rev D Kelly;
Elizabeth, m Captain John Winder.
THE REV FRANCIS GERVAIS JP (1764-1849), of Cecil, Rector of Tartaraghan, Carlingford, married, in 1807, Katherine Jane, daughter of Michael Tisdall, of Charlesfort, County Meath, and had issue,
FRANCIS JOHN, his heir;The only son,
Elizabeth; Catherine; Juliana Henrietta.
FRANCIS JOHN GERVAIS JP DL (1819-82)), of Cecil Manor, High Sheriff, 1846, wedded, in 1852, Annie Catherine, eldest daughter of the Rev John Richardson Young, of Kilmarron Rectory, County Monaghan, and had issue,
FRANCIS PETER, his heir;The only son,
Katherine Mary; Frances Elizabeth Haton.
FRANCIS PETER GERVAIS JP DL (1858-1918), of Cecil Manor, High Sheriff of Tyrone, 1902 barrister-at-law; married, in 1884, Georgina Francis Dalrymple, daughter of James Gilmour, of Warren Hill, County Londonderry; and had issue,
DOROTHY, born ca 1886.
CECIL MANOR, near Augher, County Tyrone, was a rather austere three-storey, early 19th century block, probably attributed to William Farrell.
The windows were set wide apart in the solid expanses of wall. Its entrance front had a Classical porch, prolonged by a wing of the same height.
There was a slightly overhanging roof with a bracket cornice; and chimney-stacks grouped together in a long line.
The mansion is now demolished.
This land at one time belonged to the Cairnes family and was known as Saville Lodge.
The demesne had four gate lodges, of which two seem to have survived, albeit in a parlous state.
This was formerly a fine demesne on the lower slopes of Knockmany.
There is still an avenue of Douglas Fir and forest planting; and a lake.
A garden house is at the site of a formerly productive garden.
Much of the estate is now part of the NI Forest Service's Knockmany Forest.
Former town residence ~ 2 Strathmore Gardens, London.
First published in September, 2010.