This family claims descent from a distinguished chieftain of the 12th century, Rhirid Flaidd, Lord of Penrhyn, Merionethshire, within the ancient kingdom of Powys.
This Rhirid took the surname of Blaidd, or the Wolf, from his maternal ancestor, Blaidd Rhudd, or the Bloody Wolf, Lord of Gest, near Penmorfa, Gwynedd, whose standard bore a wolf passant on an azure ground.
He married Gwrgenau, daughter and heiress of Cynfyn Hirdref, and had issue a second son,
MADOG AP RHIRID FLAIDD, who married Efa, daughter of Philip Ddu ap Hywel, son of Hywel, son of Meredudd ap Bleddyn, Prince of Powys, and had three sons, from the 3rd of whom,
MADOG AP GRUFFYDD MAELOR, lineally descended
LEWIS GWYNNE AP CADWALLADER AP RYDDERCA AP DAVID, of Bala, wedded Sidney, daughter of Robert Wynne, of Maesmochnant, Denbighshire (of the Gwydyr family), and had issue,
OWEN, of whom presently;The elder son,
OWEN WYNNE, the first who settled in Ireland, High Sheriff of counties Leitrim and Roscommon, 1659, married Catherine, widow of James Hamilton, son of Sir Frederick Hamilton, and daughter of Claud, 2nd Baron Strabane, by Lady Jane his wife, 4th daughter of George, Marquess of Huntly, and the Lady Henrietta Stewart, daughter of Esmé, Duke of Lennox, and by her (who married 3rdly, John Bingham, of Castlebar), and had issue,
James, killed at Malplaquet;The third son,
OWEN, of whom we treat;
Catherine; Lucy; Dorothy.
LIEUTENANT-GENERAL THE RT HON OWEN WYNNE (1665-1737), of Lurganboy; Governor of Londonderry.
He enjoyed a brilliant military career both at home and on the continent. Following his return to Ireland, was promoted lieutenant-general and finally to the exalted post of Commander-in-Chief, Ireland.His nephew,
The apex of his career was the purchase, in 1722, of the estate of Annagh, subsequently known as Hazelwood. In addition to the 14,500 acres, the conveyance also included extensive property within the borough, together with the fairs, markets and tolls
Three years later he built Hazelwood House. With his brother, John, he was elected a free burgess of the Corporation of Sligo and represented Sligo in the Irish Parliament.
OWEN WYNNE (1686-1755), of Hazelwood, succeeded his uncle in 1737 and was one of the few proprietors of Hazelwood who did not sit in Parliament.
Two of his sons, James and Captain John, between them represented the borough and county of Sligo in parliament for over thirty years.
THE RT HON OWEN WYNNE MP (1723-89),
returned as MP for Sligo and had the distinction of sitting in the Irish Parliament for forty years without a break, twenty-nine for the County and eleven for the Borough.
In 1756, he was appointed a Privy Counsellor; Governor of County Sligo; Trustee of the Linen Board; married Anne Maxwell whose brother John, MP for County Cavan, was created Baron Farnham in 1756.His son,
OWEN WYNNE (1755-1841), who succeeded in keeping with the family tradition, when he was returned as MP for Sligo in 1777, defeating his near neighbour and blood relation, William Ormsby, of Willowbrook;
represented the county for thirteen years in Grattan’s Parliament, was subsequently returned for Sligo Borough, and sat in both the Irish and Westminster parliaments for a further quarter of a century and voted against the Act of Union of 1800; married Lady Sarah Elizabeth Cole, the eldest daughter of the 1st Earl of Enniskillen.At the time of his death he was the oldest surviving representative of Grattan’s Parliament.
His third son,
THE RT HON JOHN ARTHUR WYNNE JP (1801-65),
MP for Sligo, privy counsellor, Under Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland; served as High Sheriff for counties of Sligo and Leitrim; married, in 1838, Lady Anne Wandesforde Butler, daughter of James, 1st Marquess of Ormonde KP.His son,
In keeping with the family tradition he was an ardent Conservative and a parliamentarian of note. He succeeded his father as MP for the Borough in 1830, but lost his seat to John Martin, the ‘popular’ candidate, in 1832. However, he made a return in 1856 and continued as the borough representative at Westminster until ill health forced him to resign in 1860.
OWEN WYNNE JP DL (1843-1910), of Hazelwood; High Sheriff for Sligo, 1875, and for Leitrim, 1880; married, in 1870, Stella Fanny, youngest daughter of Sir Robert Gore-Booth Bt, and by her had issue,
Mr Wynne, the last of his family in the direct male line at Hazelwood, succeeded his father in 1865.
- Muriel Caroline Louisa;
- Evelyn Mary;
- Madeline Mary;
- J Dorothy Adelaide.
In his youth he served as a Lieutenant in the 61st Foot Regiment and in 1870 married Stella, younger daughter of Sir Robert Gore-Booth Bt, of Lissadell, by whom he had four daughters.
He sat on both the Grand Jury and the Board of Guardians for many years but, unlike his predecessors, due mainly to changes in the electoral system, he never attained a seat in Parliament.
As an extensive landowner, he was both a Magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant of County Sligo, and High Sheriff in 1875.
The hall door is reached by climbing a flight of stone steps leading onto a spacious platform which offers fine scenic views of the mountains of Leitrim and of North County Sligo.
The Wynne family were seated at Hazelwood (or Hazlewood) House for three centuries, during which time all the heads of the Wynne household, with only one exception, bore the name of Owen Wynne.
The first occupant of Hazelwood House was Lieutenant-General Owen Wynne.
Hazelwood was the venue for numerous sporting and leisure events through the years, with yacht racing taking place on Lough Gill throughout the 19th Century.
Polo was another popular sport on the Hazelwood Estate; as was shooting, horse racing and rowing.
Owen Wynne died in 1910 at the age of 67 and with no male heir to take over the estates, so too came the end of the Wynne's occupation of Hazelwood House.
After the death of Owen Wynne in 1910, Owen's daughter Murial and her husband, Philip Dudley Percival, lived in Hazelwood House, selling off the livestock and machinery until they left Hazelwood House in 1923.
They still owned extensive lands, including a large estate centred around Lurganboy Lodge, near Manorhamilton in County Leitrim. Generations of the Wynne family lived in succession in the house.
From 1923 until 1930, Hazelwood House remained empty, after which a retired tea planter called Berridge lived in the house, carrying out repairs and renovations until the house and lands were sold to the Irish state in 1937.
During the 2nd World War and until 1946, Hazelwood House was occupied by the Irish Army; after which the Irish Land Commission put the house up for sale.
Under the terms of the sale however, the buyer was to demolish the house,level the site and remove all the materials.
Later in the same year (1946), Hazelwood House was sold to St Columba's Mental Hospital, who spent some £4,000 repairing the building, using it for a number of years as a home for mental patients.
In 1969, an Italian company called Snia bought Hazelwood House and built a factory to the rear (South) of the house.
Snia had employed up to 500 people producing nylon yarn.
Like many businesses during the recession of the early 1980s, Snia hit on hard times and the factory closed down in 1983.
Four years later, in 1987, the factory and Hazelwood House were sold to the South Korean company Saehan Media who produced video tapes until 2005, when, due to a downturn in business as a result of the digital revolution, Saehan Media, too, closed down with the loss of over 150 jobs.
The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland holds the Wynne Papers.
First published in August, 2011.