Sunday 31 July 2011

Black Mountain Trek


I motored up to Divis and the Black Mountain today, a property of the National Trust. The prospect from here is normally excellent over Belfast, though there was low-lying cloud and mist on this occasion.

Nevertheless, I parked the two-seater, donned the waterproof clothing and began my little trek. Today I traversed the hills via Tipperary Road, described as "moderate" in its degree of difficulty (or ease).

The Trust has made a few improvements, viz. more stone benches and wooden platforms on another route.

Were extra funding available, a basic shelter here and there would be useful; as would a bench or two along the heathland of the Tipperary Road.

I had been looking forward to the Warden's office at the Long Barn being open, so that I could have my packed lunch and shed the wet attire though, unfortunately, it was closed today.


Divis Lodge, with its temporary roof, still awaits funding for restoration.

On the way home I called in at Halford's cycle store and admired a black Pashley Roadster Sovereign cycle, which cost £645. It appears to be a superb bicycle. Is it worth that price? I covet one!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

don't buy a bike at Halfords, they aren't great quality. Go to Bikedock or BikeIT instead, both in East Belfast so not far away. Keep the union strong!!!

Timothy Belmont said...

I've read that Pashley are like premium motor brands and are resistant to discounting.

Is it possible to obtain a discount on these bikes, or get some accessory thrown in?