Friday 13 January 2012

Bistro Iona

Godmother and self dined at Bistro Iona in Holywood, County Down, this evening. I brought the bottle of Marks and Spencer Old Vines Grenache Noir 2009 with me.

We like this little first-floor establishment. It is rather bijou. It has been renovated within the last year, with smarter tables and chairs, and upgraded décor, too.

When we arrived we were shown to our table at the window. Thereafter the room filled steadily, till it was buzzing and full.

There was a jug of water on the table and a dish of butter.

The staff are most agreeable, affable and helpful.

We both had the chicken liver parfait, plum and apple relish, brioche for starters. The portion was ideal; the pâté, a thin slice, not too heavy and easily digested. 

Thereafter, Godmother ordered the duck: Confit of duck, mash, wild mushroom cream; while I had the braised lamb shank, mash, red wine, shallot & rosemary sauce. We shared a medley of vegetables.

First off, the wine: a delightful choice, easy on the palate, fruity and not too dry. Highly recommended at £6.99. Buy a case.

Godmother's duck looked good and I was assured that this was the case.

My lamb was equally good; very good, in actual fact. Abundant lean meat; minimal fat. It sat on a small portion of mashed potato. For me, the helping was ideal.

We shared the pudding: Lemon curd cheesecake with strawberries. This was, as one might imagine, great.

It was a terrific evening. I simply cannot find any significant faults with the Iona.

I'll be back.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

thats really nice... it has changed since the year before last when the four of us were there, I trust Joan was on good form..x J.

Timothy Belmont said...

Hi J!

Indeed, in thunderously belligerent mode LOL!

Anonymous said...

lol so good to hear! I think she is lovely.... well we got on well!