The noble family of ROWLEY is of Saxon origin, and was seated at Kermincham, Cheshire, in the reign of EDWARD II, in the person of RANDOLFE DE ROWLEY.
This branch of the family settled in Ireland in the reign of JAMES I.
COLONEL THE HON HERCULES LANGFORD BOYLE ROWLEY JP DL (1828-1904), of Marley Grange, County Dublin, younger son of Hercules, 2nd Baron Langford, High Sheriff, 1859, Hon. Colonel, 5th Battalion, Prince of Wales's Own Leinster Regiment, married, in 1857, Louisa Jane, sister of 1st Baron Blythswood, and had issue,
HERCULES DOUGLAS EDWARD, his heir;Colonel Rowley was succeeded by his eldest son,
Arthur Sholto, 8th BARON LANGFORD;
Armine Charlotte; Gladys Helen Louisa; Evelyn Augusta.
HERCULES DOUGLAS EDWARD ROWLEY JP DL (1859-1945), of Marley Grange, Lieutenant, 5th Battalion, Leinster Regiment, who wedded, in 1884, Agnes Mary, only daughter of A Allen, of Devizes, Wiltshire, and had issue,
Ivy Mabel Armine Douglas, b 1889;
Monica Evelyn Douglas, b 1893.
MARLEY GRANGE, near Rathfarnham, County Dublin, is an important cut-stone two storey high-roofed Victorian house built in the Gothic style ca 1850 in a woodland setting.
The house has gables, dormer gables, plus a tower with a truncated pyramidal roof.
There is a two-storey gate lodge located at the entrance.
Marley Grange is approached through an impressive entrance, via a long tree lined avenue, that leads to a large gravelled forecourt to the front of the house.
The extensive are interspersed with specimen trees, two ornamental ponds, trellis covered sunken pathway enclosing a semi-circular formal garden on the south gable of the house.
There is also a paddock and extensive woodland.
The property is bounded to the east by Three Rock Rovers hockey grounds; to the west by Grange Golf Club; and is beside Marley Park.
The house and estate were sold by the former owners, the McGrane family, in 2000, to the British Embassy in Dublin for £6.4 million.
It was intended to replace the ambassador's residence at Glencairn House.
The house suffered a disastrous fire in 2010.
The estate agents Colliers apparently then agreed sale terms on the ten-bedroom house, which is acknowledged to be one of the few examples of late Victorian Gothic revival architecture in Ireland.
Colliers are understood to have settled for a price close to €2.5 million for the listed building and its 12.4 acres of woodland next to Marley Park, which are owned by the property developer and charity founder Niall Mellon.
The house was unoccupied and uninsured when it was set ablaze in July, 2010.
All that remain of the imposing cut-stone, two-storey, high-roofed structure dating from the 1870s are the walls.
However, because of its architectural and historical significance, the planners are anxious to have it restored to its former glory – a challenging project, which one expert says could cost anything from €1.5 million to €2 million.
Mellon bought Marley Grange from the British Embassy in 2008 after it dropped plans to use it as its ambassadorial residence.
The embassy had previously sold its long term residence Glencairn and its 34-acre grounds in Sandyford in 1999 for security reasons.
The entire property was acquired by Michael Cotter of Park Developments for €35.6 million.
The Foreign Office in London then wished to buy back Glencairn, without its substantial grounds.
Former town residence ~ 8 Cambridge Place, Kensington, London.
First published in May, 2012.