Friday 24 January 2014

Classic MG


It has been an interesting morning. An old acquaintance called me and I paid him a visit fifteen minutes ago.

This gentleman has been a scholar, school-master, local politician, historian and clergyman in his time.

He has stopped driving and, to my surprise, today he gave me virtually first refusal on his classic 1967 MGB GT motor car.

It is British Racing Green and has chrome features. I was apprised that it has been "round the clock" twice; though it has been well maintained and my chum is the only owner since new.

I asked him how much he wanted for it.

He chuckled and asked me to look it up on the Internet.

How much is it worth? Should I consider purchasing it? Would it be a burden? Would it stay in my garage?

Road Tax is unnecessary because the old jalopy is over thirty years old.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Timothy, I well remember when the learned gentleman purchased this car: I was a callow 3rd former then and we were all "agog" and somewhat jealous of his purchase! If I recall, the reg plate was TZ ...
It has always been well-maintained and you shouldn't hesitate: push the "buy" button now!
P S

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha! The heart says Yes; the head is hesitant.

It's away at the surgery getting its choke fixed presently; so I didn't get a chance to see it.

I have seen it before; not in the flesh, as it were, though. Nor have I driven it. I presume it has latest MoT, though it hasn't been driven by him for a few years.

Gavin Bamford said...

Yes, yes, yes!

Alan45 said...

Could this be the famous Divinity master from Inst who taught me as a boy

Anonymous said...

This car is iconic. So is the driver. And so is this column. Buy it without further ado,

Alan45 said...

Is he still alive? The last time I saw him was on TV as the Rector of the smallest Church in Ireland up on the North Coast