Thursday 3 December 2009

Free Stamps!

It never ceases to astonish me how often, at Christmas, the Royal Mail's machinery fails to frank postage stamps. Waste Not, Want Not, as the saying goes. I remove unmarked stamps from the envelopes; soak and float them on a saucer of water; carefully peel them off after a few hours; dry them; and re-use them with gluey gum.

Within the last year or so I have accumulated 23 stamps, 6 of them first class. That equates to £7.44.

Given that the population of the UK is roughly sixty million, if a mere 1% of people "do what I do", the Royal Mail has lost £4,464,000 in revenue.

Thank you very much, Royal Mail.

4 comments :

John Ferris said...

I hope you didn't spend too much on glue Tim ha ha

Timothy Belmont said...

No worries there, John: I've an ancient Pritt stick somewhere. :-)

Stephen said...

Isn't that illegal? :)

Timothy Belmont said...

You've stumped me there, Stephen. Perhaps it is!

Except there are no markings on them...