This building was used for several centuries by the archbishops as an auxiliary residence to their archiepiscopal quarters in nearby Drogheda.
After the Reformation, several archbishops of the established church resided periodically at Termonfeckin.
The castle's most famous occupant was the Most Rev James Ussher, Lord Archbishop of Armagh from 1625-56.
He used the Castle for much of his term until 1640, when he departed for England, never to return.
The castle was damaged in the Irish rebellion of 1641 and was not repaired. It fell into disuse and was eventually demolished ca 1830.