Monday, 28 November 2016

Dromore Castle

THE WALLERS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY LIMERICK, WITH 6,996 ACRES

The ancient family of WALLER derives from

ALURED DE WALLER, of Newark, Nottinghamshire, who died in 1183, and from whom lineally descended

DAVID DE WALLER, master of the rolls to EDWARD III for thirty years.

This gentleman died childless; but from his only brother,

HENRY WALLER, sprang

JOHN WALLER, of Groombridge, Kent, father of

RICHARD WALLER, a gallant participator in the glories of Agincourt, who, in honour of having prisoner the Duke of Orleans in that memorable conflict, obtained, from HENRY V, the addition to his crest, of a shield of the arms of the Duke, pendent from the sinister side of a walnut tree, which his descendants have ever since borne.

The French prince, having been brought to England, was confined at Mr Waller's seat, at Groombridge.

The grandson and direct successor of this gentleman,

JOHN WALLER, of Groombridge, married and his elder son,

WILLIAM WALLER, of Groombridge, High Sheriff of Kent, married, in 1537, Anne Fallemar, of Eastney, near Southampton, and left two sons,
WILLIAM (Sir), his heir;
JOHN, ancestor of WALLER of Allenstown.
Mr Waller died in 1555, and was succeeded by his elder son,

WILLIAM WALLER, of Groomsbridge, who wedded Alice, daughter and co-heir of Sir Walter Hendley, and was father of

SIR WALTER WALLER, Knight, of Groombridge, who espoused Anne, daughter of Philip Choute, and had two sons,
GEORGE, his heir;
Thomas (Sir).
The elder son,

GEORGE WALLER, of Groomsbridge, wedded firstly, Eliza, daughter of Michael Sondes; and secondly, Mary, widow of Sir William Ashenden, and daughter of Richard Hardress, and had a son,

SIR HARDRESS WALLER (1604-66), one of the judges who sat at the trial of CHARLES I, for which he was afterwards tried and banished.

Sir Hardress retired to Ireland, settled at Castletown, County Limerick, and became a mamber of the Irish Parliament.

He married Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Sir John Dowdall, Knight, of Kilfinny, County Limerick, and by her (with whom he acquired the Manor of Castletown), and issue,
John, Governor of Fort Limerick;
JAMES, his successor;
Elizabeth; Bridget; Mary; Anne.
Sir Hardress's second son,

JAMES WALLER, of Castletown, Lieutenant-Governor of Kinsale, and MP for that borough, married Dorothy, daughter of Colonel Rondall Clayton, of Moyaloe, County Cork, and had (with four daughters) a son and successor,

JOHN WALLER, of Castletown, MP for Doneraile, Lieutenant-Colonel in the army, described by Swift as "Jack, the grandson of Sir Hardress".

He wedded Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Dickson, of Ballybracken, County Cork, by Elizabeth his wife, heiress of Edward Bolton, of Clonrush, Queen's County, grandson of Sir Edward Bolton, Chief Baron of the Irish Exchequer, and had, with other issue, a son and successor,

JOHN THOMAS WALLER, of Castletown, grandson of the Rev Thomas Waller, who sold Castletown in 1936.

As he had no children, the male representation of the family passed to the descendants of John Waller, a younger son of Bolton Waller.

Castletown Manor, near Pallaskenry, County Limerick, was a large Georgian block, built for John Waller. It was demolished in the 1940s.



DROMORE CASTLE, near Templenoe, County Kerry, looks out over the Kenmare River.

It was built in the 1830s for the Mahony family to a neo-gothic design by Sir Thomas Deane.

It was designed and built for Denis Mahony.

Work began in 1831, although the account books show that only a negligible amount had been carried out before 1834.

Building work was completed in 1839.



The house is in the castellated Gothic-Revival style, with an external finish of Roman cement with limestone dressings.

With the notable exception of the grand south-facing window with its pointed arch, the windows consist of pointed tracery contained within rectangular frames, a style characteristic of Deane's domestic work.


The entrance hall, which is in the form of a long gallery, takes up half of the area of the ground floor.

The west wing of the Castle takes the form of a round tower, with a spiral staircase contained within an attached turret.

Dromore Castle was the ancestral seat of the Mahonys.

When Harold Mahony was killed in a bicycle accident in 1905, he left no heirs, so the castle passed to his sister, Norah Hood.

She in turn left the castle to her cousin, Hardress Waller, and the castle remained in the hands of the Waller family until 1993 when it was offered for sale.

Dromore Castle is now owned by an investment company which is endeavouring to restore the building.

First published in September, 2012.

1 comment :

deborah giles said...

do you know how much it sold for in 1993 and what is the company who owns it called as ive serched online and cannot find out much about these two things