This family claims to be an elder branch of the house of OSBORNE, from which the Dukes of Leeds descended.
The Osbornes of Newtown Anner first settled in Ireland in 1558, and were raised to the degree of baronets in the person of
SIR RICHARD OSBORNE, of Ballintaylor, in 1629,
having been appointed by JAMES I, in 1616, with Henry Osborne, clerk of The King's Courts, and prothonotary within the city and county of Limerick; and in Tipperary, Clerk of the Crown and Peace, and Clerk of the Assizes in the said counties.
During the Civil Wars, taking the side of the usurper Cromwell, he was attacked in his castle of Knockmoan, by the Earl of Castlehaven, in 1645, and compelled to surrender at discretion.He died in 1667 and was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR RICHARD, 2nd Baronet, who died in 1685, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR JOHN, 3rd Baronet, who wedded, in 1699, Elizabeth, fourth daughter of Thomas Walsingham, and granddaughter, maternally, of Theophilus, 2nd Earl of Suffolk; but dying without issue in 1713, the title devolved upon his kinsman,
SIR THOMAS (grandson of 1st Baronet, through his 2nd son, Nicholas Osborne), 5th Baronet, who was succeeded by his grandson,
SIR NICHOLAS (1685-1719), 6th Baronet, who married Mary, daughter of the Rt Rev Dr Thomas Smith, Lord Bishop of Limerick.
Dying in 1718 without male issue, the title devolved upon his brother,
SIR JOHN, 7th Baronet, barrister and MP for County Waterford.
This gentleman wedded Editha, only daughter of William Proby, sometime governor of Fort St George, in the East Indies, by whom he had six sons and four daughters.
Sir John died in 1743, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
THE RT HON SIR WILLIAM, 8th Baronet, a privy counsellor in Ireland, and MP, who married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of of Thomas Christmas, of Whitfield, County Waterford, by whom he had issue,
THOMAS, his successor;Sir William died in 1783, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
Charles, a judge;
HENRY, s his brother;
SIR THOMAS (1757-1821), 9th Baronet. This gentleman espoused Catherine Rebecca, daughter of Major Robert Smith.
Ralph B Osborne owned 942 acres in County Tipperary; and her cousin, Sir Charles Stanley Osborne, 13th Baronet, of Beechwood Park, Nenagh, owned 940 acres in County Tipperary.
The heir apparent is the present holder's eldest son George Gideon Oliver Osborne (b 1971).
- Sir William Osborne, 10th Baronet (1817-24)
- Sir Henry Osborne, 11th Baronet (d 1837)
- Sir Daniel Toler Osborne, 12th Baronet (1783–1853)
- Sir William Osborne, 13th Baronet (1805-75)
- Sir Charles Stanley Osborne, 14th Baronet (1825-79)
- Sir Francis Osborne, 15th Baronet (1856–1948)
- Sir George Francis Osborne, 16th Baronet (1894–1960)
- Sir Peter George Osborne, 17th Baronet (b 1943)
The heir apparent's heir apparent is his only son Luke Benedict Osborne.
Sir Peter George Osborne, 17th and present Baronet (b 1943) co-founded the wallpaper company, Osborne & Little.
NEWTOWN ANNER HOUSE (above), near Clonmel, County Tipperary, is a two-storey late-Georgian house with a nine-bay front, the three outer bays breaking forwards and elevated an extra storey above the centre block.
Newtown Anner was formerly a seat of the Osborne Baronets; as was Beechwood Park in County Tipperary.
The doorway has engaged columns and a large semi-circular fanlight over the door and side-lights; with a curved two-storey bow at the side.
The Osbornes purchased the Newtown Anner estate from Clonmel Corporation in 1774, though the present house dates from 1829.
Newtown Anner passed eventually to the 12th Duke of St Albans, grandson of Ralph and Catherine Bernal (nee Osborne). It was occupied by the Duchess of St Albans in 1906 and still in that family's possession in the early 1940s.
It is now thought to be the home of Nigel Cathcart.
First published in October, 2011.