Monday, 28 November 2016

Knocktarna House

THE LYLE FAMILY WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY LONDONDERRY, WITH 3,071 ACRES OF LAND

HUGH LYLE, of Coleraine, County Londonderry, an officer in a dragoon regiment said to have come originally from Renfrewshire, married, before 1717, Eleanor, daughter of Hugh Bankhead, of Kilotin, County Londonderry, and had issue,
HUGH, his heir;
Elizabeth; Martha.
The only son,

HUGH LYLE (1717-), of Coleraine, wedded, in 1749, Eleanor, daughter of Samuel Hyde, of Belfast, son of John Hyde, of Haughton, Cheshire, and had issue,
HUGH, his heir;
Samuel;
James, of Philadelphia, USA;
Mary; Eleanor.
The eldest son,

HUGH LYLE (1756-1812), of Jackson Hall, Coleraine, espoused Sarah, daughter of Thomas Greg, of Belfast, and had issue,
HUGH, his heir;
Thomas;
Samuel;
Elizabeth; Eleanor; May; Sarah.
The eldest son,

HUGH LYLE, of Knocktarna, County Londonderry, sometime Mayor of Coleraine, married Harriet, daughter of John Cromie, of Cromore, County Londonderry, and left eight sons and five daughters; of these,
Hugh Thomas (1815-34);
JOHN (Rev);
James Acheson, of Portstewart;
Thomas Cromie (1819-54);
George Robert (1821-53);
Henry;
Edward Augustus (Rev);
Octavius Godfrey;
Anne Frances; Sarah Olivia; Harriet Ellen; Ellen Jane; Frances Louisa.
The eldest surviving son,

THE REV JOHN LYLE (1817-), of Knocktarna, Rector of Kildolla, wedded firstly, in 1851, Elizabeth (died 1852), eldest daughter of the Rev Andrew McCreight, Rector of Belturbet; and secondly, in 1857, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Major Thomas Scott, of Willsboro, County Londonderry, and had issue,
HUGH THOMAS, his heir;
John Cromie;
Thomas William;
Charles Acheson;
George Herbert;
Kathleen Annette; Florence Emily; Harriette.
The eldest son,

HUGH THOMAS LYLE CBE DSO DL (1858-1942), Lieutenant-Colonel and Brevet Colonel, Royal Welch Fusiliers, wedded, in 1886, Alice Fanny, daughter of Sir Warren Hastings D'Oyly Bt, and had issue,
HUGH D'OYLY (1895-1977);
Kathleen Annie; Phyllis Mary.

KNOCKTARNA HOUSE, Coleraine, County Londonderry, formerly known as Knockantern House, is a two-storey, three-bay rendered house with a basement to the rear.

It was built ca 1830 on the north bank of the River Bann, to the south of Coleraine.

Knocktarna's features are typical of the period, characterised by restrained and plain detailing; a well-preserved example of a typical early-Victorian country house.

Set in large grounds, the fairly austere character of the house is significantly enhanced by a group of well-preserved rubble-stone and red-brick outbuildings, good quality gate-screen, and an unspoiled natural setting with views over the River Bann.

Of local interest, Knocktarna House makes a significant contribution to the architectural character and quality of Coleraine district.

The house featured in a map of 1830, with outbuildings to the rear forming two sides of a stable courtyard.

It was the seat of Hugh Lyle, linen merchant and Mayor of Coleraine and was built in the early nineteenth century.

Knocktarna, comprising twenty-five rooms, continued to pass down through the Lyle family for some years.

It was recorded that a school was established in an outbuilding of the house in 1835, catering for 18 pupils.

The Lyles contributed towards the running of the school and the schoolmistress resided in the house.

Books were supplied by the London Hibernian Society and the Authorised Version of scripture was taught.

At the time of the 1901 census, the occupiers were the elderly Rev John Lyle and his wife who lived with their two daughters, their daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

The household included a substantial staff of six, including a nurse and a groom.

The Rev John Lyle was still at the house, aged 95, in 1911 and completed the census form in his own hand.

His slightly reduced staff included a cook, housemaid, kitchen maid and butler.

At the time of the First General Revaluation in the 1930s the accommodation comprised, on the ground floor: four receptions, two servants’ bedrooms, a servants’ bathroom, servants’ WC and a pantry.

In the basement were the servants’ hall, box room, dairy, wine cellars, store, kitchen, scullery and pantry; and on the first floor, six bedrooms, a dressing room, two servants’ bedrooms, a bathroom and two WCs.

In the 1930s the house was heated by radiators and lighting was supplied by an acetylene gas plant on the premises.

The gardens included a ‘rough’ lawn, 1½ acres of vegetable and fruit garden, ½ acre rough garden and 2 acres of orchard.

There was also a grass tennis court.

In 1948 a single-storey addition was made to the rear and the house was redecorated internally.

The house passed to Fred W Young in 1952, and subsequently became the Vice-Chancellor’s Lodge for the University of Ulster.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

There were two elderly Lyle sisters around till about 35 years ago. Nellie and ?