Thursday 27 March 2008

New Restaurants In Belfast

Ross's auction-house had no sale this morning. I managed to park at Upper Arthur Street, being fortunate enough to nip into a space somebody was just vacating. I'm on the lookout for an ottoman and had intended to have a look at Ross's. Never mind, I ambled over to Marks & Spencer for some more euros and had a little walk around the gents' department.

Leaving the store by the Callender Street exit, Alden's new establishment caught my eye. It's called Alden's In The City and it's on the site of the former Skandia Restaurant (as a boy, going to a Skandia restaurant was a treat for me and I recall the ones in Howard Street and Bangor, County Down).

I look forward to having a snack at Alden's new restaurant. It's informal and breakfast, coffees and scones are all served from eight in the morning. The main menu looks good too, with prices ranging from £4.50 for soup to £9.95 or thereabouts for sirloin burger with fries and garlic mayonnaise. The pig sandwich is reminiscent of a meal with a similar name at the Hard Rock CafĂ© which I really relished! I definitely wish to get the old gnashers into that.

At the brand new House of Fraser department store, the oyster bar and restaurant interested me too: the oyster bar opens at midday and, perusing the menu, I liked the look of it. Obviously there were oysters; an abundance of similar seafood dishes like smoked salmon from Walter Ewing on Shankill Road, Belfast; prawn open sandwiches; seafood cocktails and more. A glass of chilled champers costs £6.50.

On the third floor they have their main restaurant and its menu is attractive too.

I have resolved to return and sample the fare in these restaurants in the summer or sooner.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about the new Aldens, though I too have fond memories of visits to the Skandia being a special treat! Perhaps East Belfast eateries are taking over the city, with Gourmet Burger Bank opening its Malone Road branch too. Then again, the Southsiders have got one back on us with Little Fat Buddha opening beside Mandarin City the other week. Went there at the weekend and it's not as good as the Lisburn Road one but still nice.

Timothy Belmont said...

Hello John,

I knew about GBB's branch at the Uni; didn't know about the Buddha :-)