Thursday 6 March 2008

No Sign Of Chuckle Bros At Victoria Square Belfast

I ventured into Belfast today in order to buy some Euros at Marks and Spencer for my annual trip to Amsterdam next week. It seemed quite subdued; unsurprising really, since everyone was at the launch of the massive new Victoria Square shopping mecca.

I bought my Euros and, on the way out, a pair of their boat shoes caught my eye. They were brown and fitted me well; more to the point, they were half-price! So I went ahead and made the purchase. My present boat shoes are very down-at-heel.

At Victoria Square there were, indeed, crowds of onlookers, police and officials. No sign of the Chuckle Brothers, aka Ian & Marty: I believe they attended a VIP event last night. Shame that, I had hoped to get a good laugh. I spotted the Lord Mayor grinning like a Cheshire cat. Incidentally, I'd have preferred a member of our Royal Family to open the Centre.

It's an impressive place. Too crowded for my liking today. I had an amble through the House of Fraser store, the largest in the Kingdom. I'll return in a few weeks, when the proverbial dust has settled. Outside, the restored Jaffe Memorial Fountain looked very well at the Victoria Street entrance.

I was home within about two hours. I drove up to the swimming-pool at the old school. I hadn't swum there since the seventh of February. It was stone cold and the showers were cold too and still useless due to vandalism. They have been in a state of disrepair since at least the 7 Feb. Nevertheless I swam thirty lengths, with my mouth firmly closed.

Dear oh dear...

4 comments :

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

Wonder if we bumped into each other at the opening!!!

Timothy Belmont said...

Indeed Alan, there was quite a crush :-)

Anonymous said...

I didn't pop along until a few days later, and still don't feel I've been round the whole place properly.

As to the whereabouts of Chuckle Brothers, I am pretty sure I saw our First Minister in the changing rooms at Esporta on Saturday morning, though obviously it doesn't do to look too closely at other chaps in these circumstances.

Timothy Belmont said...

That must have been quite a thrill! :-)