Sunday 24 June 2012

Donaghadee Visit

 DE LA CHEROIS  OF THE MANOR HOUSE, DONAGHADEE

I visited Donaghadee, County Down, today.

My first stop was the parish church, which appears to have benefited from a good restoration very recently.


The ancestral tomb of the De La Cherois family is under the west aisle of the church.

The Manor House is at one end of the town's main street. Its walled garden is directly opposite the house, on the other side of the road.


Its side elevation runs down one of the streets.


A café, Café Manor, operates on the side street beside the walled garden, which is open to the general public occasionally.


On the way home, I stopped off at Lowry's Wood, adjacent to Portavo Reservoir. It was planted a mere four months ago by National Trust volunteers, and seems to be thriving.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I am writing a little book on Donaghadee today, So if you have the odd story of interest I am mags_anne@hotmail.com

I found your blog because I was reseraching th Manor house in Donaghadee.
Many Thanks.
maggie A

Timothy Belmont said...

Hi, nothing comes to mind immediately, though you never know where I might end up in the next few months!

And thanks for the kind words.

Tim