Tuesday 26 January 2010

Sorry Eva!

The Comment Moderation device has fulfilled its primary purpose. I received two comments from Eva, Prince William's infatuated Romanian admirer, during the night; and, subsequently, the device has enabled me to intercept the messages and delete them. Sorry Eva! Should you wish to make contact with HRH, kindly contact him through Clarence House; not through the good offices of Timothy Belmont.

I have been in communication with Simon Cundey of Henry Poole, the tailors. Even if I were serious about acquiring a Savile Row suit, it would be a trifle impractical, in a logistical sense. Nevertheless, he did suggest a first fitting over two full days, with prior notice. The price has not been discussed. I said I'd contact them the next time I visit the metropolis, which could be next year. I lament the days when I could nip over to Savile Row from the Lords and fly back and forward as often as necessary (and if you believe that, you'll believe anything!).

Undoubtedly there is a considerable difference between bespoke and made-to-measure suits: whereas bespoke suits are made, cut and sown completely by hand in the premises over several fittings, with individual requirements and details like buttons and linings discussed with the tailor; made-to-measure would be much more elementary, with measurements noted and then sent off to a factory somewhere for assembly. That's the basic difference; and it's reflected in the price!

4 comments :

Sartorial Executive said...

Henry Poole make exceptional bespoke suits. Over your side of the water good tailors are few and far between, in fact the only bespoke operation I am aware of is http://www.davidyoungbespoketailor in Belfast.

Timothy Belmont said...

Many thanks indeed for that information. I didn't know about David Young.

I imagine every town and city had bespoke tailors a hundred years ago; and there doesn't seem to one one in Belfast!

Simon Cundey said: "In London once a year? .How many days?
I can offer a 2 full day first fitting ,with prior notice.
Best I can do."

I not sure that I fully grasp that. Do you understand that; and would I need to go back for another few fittings; and how much would it cost? £2,500+...

Tim

Anonymous said...

You ought to give Clarke & Dawe a go, Tim. It won't be the same as Savile Row, of course, but then it will only be 1/5 of the price! Can't really go wrong at that price.

W.

Timothy Belmont said...

I am indeed curious. I've sent D Young an email anyway.

I read somewhere that John McBride now works at Clarke & Dawe.

We'll see...