Tuesday 25 March 2014

The Caricaturist


I went for a stroll last night, towards one of the opulent shopping centres at sea-level.

Outside, the caricaturist whose work I've been admiring for many years, had set up his stall.

It was about eight o'clock. He brings everything with him: stools, easel, drawing chalk, lamp with battery, rubber etc.


It didn't take long for him to get his first customers, a young couple with their relatives (I presume).

This artist is an experienced and skilful proponent of his trade. 

I've observed his technique, which has remained unchanged for twenty years; the way he gets his subject to look at a point beyond him, by gesticulating with his fingers.

His fee is €12 for black and white; €15 for colour.

I wonder of he recognises me. He looks round occasionally to see who's about.

This fellow still has a good head of hair (alas, mine left me ages ago), though it's now cut shorter and grey.

No comments :