Sunday 9 March 2014

Imperial Might

 

I've been watching a gripping documentary drama mini-series on the BBC called 37 Days.

I recorded the final episode last night and will view it this evening, after the Top Gear Special.

It covered the weeks leading up to the 1st World War, from the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria on the 28th June, 1914, to the United Kingdom declaring war on Germany on the 4th August, 1914.

The portrayals of the Rt Hon Sir Edward Grey Bt MP (later 1st Viscount Grey of Fallodon KG PC) as the Foreign Secretary, and His Imperial Majesty WILHELM II as the Kaiser, were particularly notable.

Last night I treated myself to the legendary (!) Belmont Hawaiian Burger, a bespoke patty which weighed over half a pound (250g if you prefer).

Later I visited the cinema to see 300: Rise Of An Empire.

I enjoyed its predecessor, 300, though I found this sequel rather disappointing.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Interesting to note that parts of 37 Men were filmed locally, at Brownlow House (Lurgan Castle).

http://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/features/brownlow-house-in-new-bbc-drama-1-5916803

Timothy Belmont said...

...and Ballywalter Park.