JOHN BARBOUR (1755-1825), appointed Honorary Freeman of the borough of Paisley in 1811, married and had issue,
WILLIAM BARBOUR JP (1798-1825), of Hilden, Lisburn, who wedded Elizabeth Kennedy, of Grove Green, Lisburn.
JOHN DOUGHERTY BARBOUR JP DL (1823-1901), of Conway, Dunmurry, County Antrim, and of Hilden, Leamington, Warwickshire, and of Wrentnall, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, espoused, in 1864, Elizabeth Law, eldest daughter of John Milne, of Trinity Grove, Edinburgh.
His eldest son,
THE RT HON JOHN MILNE BARBOUR JP DL MP (1868-1951), of Hilden, County Antrim, was created a baronet in 1943.
Sir Milne was appointed a Privy Counsellor (NI) in 1925.
His father, John Doherty Barbour, who was Chairman of the William Barbour Linen Thread Company of Hilden, the largest linen thread manufacturers in the world for over twenty years; and he succeeded his father as Chairman for thirty years.Sir Milne married Elise Barbour, a distant cousin from the USA, in 1899.
Lady Barbour was born in Paterson, New Jersey, USA in 1873 and died at Conway House, Dunmurry, in 1910.
In her short life she had three daughters and one son, John, who went missing when flying home over the Irish Sea one weekend just before the 2nd World War in 1937.
John worked at the Barbour factory in Glasgow and flew home most weekends.
Sir Milne's sister, Helen, married Thomas Andrews, the designer of RMS Titanic, who was drowned when the ship hit an iceberg and sank in 1912.
She later married Henry Harland of Harland & Wolff.
As an MP at Stormont, Sir Milne held various Ministries including Commerce (1925-41) and Finance (1941-43).
As well as being Chairman of the largest linen thread company in the world, whose head office was at Lisburn, the company had factories in Glasgow, Paisley and other places.
He was also Chairman of various other businesses including Insurance Companies, and was President of the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society.
Sir Milne was a keen freemason, being appointed Grand King of the Supreme Royal Arch Chapter of Ireland in 1933.
The Barbours lived in some style at Conway House, Dunmurry, and were very generous benefactors to charities.
Conway House became a hotel after Sir Milne's death in 1951 and has since been demolished.
The Barbours were connected to many local families, including the Harlands and Pirries of Harland and Wolff; the Duffins of Danesfort; the Andrews' of Comber; the McCances of Woodburn; the Gordons of Lisburn; and the Carsons of Cherryvalley, whose daughter Kerry married Dr Ian Adamson, a former Lord Mayor of Belfast. The paving, in Irish marble, of the central aisle in the nave of Belfast Cathedral was laid in memory of Elise, Lady Barbour, by her husband, Sir Milne, and their children.The baronetcy became extinct when Sir Milne died in 1951.
In 1852, William Charley, who had succeeded to the Seymour Hill estate, gave some land to his younger brother Edward (1827 -68), to build a house for his first wife Mary (née Caldecott) (1834-54) from Essex.
Edward named it Conway House after the local landowner, Lord Hertford, one of whose titles was Lord Conway.
His first wife, Mary, died in 1854 and, two yeas later, he married Jane (née Richardson,1829-1906) from Lambeg.
When Edward died in 1868 she lived at Conway House with her four children and one stepdaughter until 1877.
The house was then occupied until his death by Bishop Reeves; and then, in 1892, it was sold by the executors of Edward's brother, William Charley, to John D. Barbour of Hilden, the father of Sir Milne Barbour Bt.
Sir Milne lived at Conway for many years until he died in 1951.
At one time the Charley crest adorned the front porch.
First published in May, 2010.