JAMES HENDERSON (1766-1834), of Castlereagh, County Down, married Amelia Magill, and by her had issue,
JAMES HENDERSON (1797-1853), of Newry, County Down, proprietor of the Newry Telegraph, who wedded Ann Peacock; and by her had issue,
George, b 1814;
Henry, b 1820;
three daughters, one of whom was called Isabella.
JAMES ALEXANDER HENDERSON JP (1823-83), of Norwood Tower, Strandtown, Belfast; Mayor of Belfast, 1873-74; managing proprietor of the Belfast Newsletter.
Mr Henderson married Agnes, daughter of Alexander Mackay, Junior, of Mountcollyer Park, Belfast, joint proprietor of the Belfast Newsletter, and had, by her, a numerous family, viz.
JAMES (Sir), of whom presently;Mr Henderson's eldest son,
Alexander Mackay, b 1850; Major, RIR;
Trevor (Sir), KBE, of Norwood Tower (1862-1930);
Charles Westbourne (1865-1935);
Jane; Anne; Agnes; Catherine Mackay; Florence Elizabeth.
SIR JAMES HENDERSON JP DL (1848-1914),
undoubtedly the most famous son of James and Agnes, becoming the first Lord Mayor of Belfast in 1898; also the first High Sheriff of the city. He is credited with City Hall at Donegall Square in Belfast.
James Henderson was born at Mountcollyer Park, Belfast, the home of his grandfather, Alexander Mackay; took a law degree at Trinity College, Dublin; called to the Irish Bar, 1872; editor of the Newry Telegraph, 1873-83.
He became managing proprietor of the Belfast News-Letter and Belfast Weekly News; was appointed President of the Master Printers’ Federation of Great Britain and Ireland; was made a Freeman of the City of Belfast in 1912; and was knighted by the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland at Viceregal Lodge, Phoenix Park, Dublin, in January, 1899.Sir James, of Oakley House, Windsor Park, Belfast, married Martha Pollock and had issue,
David, b 1881;COMMANDER OSCAR HENDERSON DSO CVO CBE RN (1891-1969), who married Alicia Mary Henry in 1920.
James, b 1889;
OSCAR, of whom hereafter;
George York, MC (1893-1917); k/a;
Richard Lilburn, b 1895;
Mary Agnes Florence Elizabeth, b 1899.
Commander Henderson served in a destroyer during the 1st World War and he was second-in-command of HMS Iris at the famous Battle of Zeebrugge, in April 1918, when a British force blocked the Mole by sinking a ship across the entrance.
Commander Henderson assumed command when the Captain was killed, and he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his part in this epic He became Comptroller and Private Secretary to the 3rd Duke of Abercorn, 1st Governor of Northern Ireland, and was awarded a CVO and CBE for his services.
During the 19th century, the Hendersons lived at Norwood Tower, Strandtown, County Down, a fine castellated mansion in its own grounds.
This rambling Tudor-Revival mansion had two gate-lodges, each about a quarter of a mile apart.
The first lodge was a little beyond the entrance to Clonaver House, the Hendersons' former dower house, which was sold to James Girdwood; while the second lodge was almost opposite the entrance to Ardvarna House.
The gate lodges were both battlemented; while the house, set in a landscaped park, was dominated by a lofty, castellated tower.
The grounds of fifty acres extended to the top of Circular Road and Sydenham Avenue.
It was assumed that Norwood Tower or its dower house, Clonaver, would pass to Oscar Henderson when Florence Elizabeth, his aunt, died; but she decided to leave both, together with a majority holding in Belfast News Letter shares, to the Musgrave (baronets) side of the family.
He was appointed CBE in 1979 and received an honorary doctorate of Literature at the Ulster University, 1982.
In 1970 Brum married, secondly, Patricia Ann, daughter of Matthew Davison, of Belfast.