Saturday 8 November 2008

Tackling Gorse At Ballymacormick


We were blessed with fine weather today. The sun shone most of the time and it was mild for the five of us. Parking our cars at the edge of Groomsport we walked, armed with our tools, to Ballymacormick which lies between Bangor and Groomsport in County Down.

Our task today was to cut down a patch of gorse. Essential weaponry for this job consists of thick gloves and sturdy loppers. During the morning we spotted a flock of about eight long-tailed tits, all flying past us in unison chirping away. An uncommon sight. Even more rare was a sighting, by Craig, of a long-eared owl which, we think, had been disturbed by a dog further inland. Later on I saw a stone chat and a grey heron.

Whilst having our lunch - egg and cress sandwiches, Kit-Kat and tea for me - Anna kindly produced some home-made biscuits made with apples from an ancient apple-tree on Island Taggart; and, I can say, they were very tasty!

After lunch, we collected some litter before leaving for home. Craig - the Strangford Lough Warden - invited me to a staff Christmas dinner, on the 19th December, at an Italian restaurant in Newcastle, County Down called Villa Vinci.

Incidentally, I have heard that the Lobster Pot restaurant in Strangford, County Down, has closed. If anyone knows more about this - whether it is temporary or otherwise - please do let me know.

2 comments :

Stephen Barnes said...

I don't know whether it's me being unobservant or just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I rarely get to see such fabulous sights, despite best endeavours.... You're very lucky my friend!

Timothy Belmont said...

They were at quite some distance; most distinctive by their long tails and song though!

Ballymacormick is an underrated and wonderful place for wildlife too.

Tim